1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electro-Magnetic Braking

1. Jan 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been using a dc motor, spinning it up to a given speed, not really important. Have used rotational inertia or a disc to work out rotational kinetic energy. After this i have braked the disc by using a load resistor circuit (LR), from which i measured the voltage over the resistor against time. From which i have worked out the power at each rotation. From which using a line of best fit (6th order polynomial), integrated to find out the kinetic energy lost due to the back e.m.f. This often turns out to be a very small fraction of the initial kinetic energy, i.e. 0.01 J lost through e.m.f and 1.6 J lost du to frictional forces in the motor. Is this what you would expect or should it be more like the other way on?

2. Relevant equations

I = V/R, P = I2R, Inertia = mr2/Radius, K.E = Inertia*Rotational Velocity2/2

3. The attempt at a solution

So i get 1.65 J of Kinetic energy with 10.9 Ohms in the circuit.

During braking it takes 7.25s for the disc to come a complete stop.

The power against time graph gives a line of best fit of:

y = 6E-07x6 - 2E-05x5 + 0.0002x4 - 0.001x3 + 0.0034x2 - 0.0065x + 0.0059

Integrated between o and 7.25 s as time is on the x axis, which gives 0.0191 roughly.

Does this mean that only 0.0191 J of energy was dissapated over the resistor as heat?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Cheers
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted