1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electro-mechanical Engineering

1. Jun 19, 2009 #1
    Why isn't there more universities offering such degrees? And why is it mostly "Technician" degrees.

Im curious to know as i find it a pretty interesting engineering branch.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2009 #2
    I believe the closest your going to get to that is Electrical Engineering. You should see if your university has an concentration in control systems.

4. Jun 20, 2009 #3
    Yep it does.

But i don't know if they offer additional courses in Dynamics, Stress Analysis which would be more of ME.

5. Jun 20, 2009 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Electro-mechanical engineering is a hybrid discipline, or a combination of electrical engineering and mechanical engineering. Most universities probably offer EE and Mech E programs, but some offer Electro-Mech E.

See - http://www.loras.edu/academics/program/EleMecEngineering.asp

Still others offer Electromechanical Engineering Technology, which is an engineering technology program, as opposed to an engineering program, which would be more theoretical.

Still others offer an Engineering Physics program which may have elements of EE and Mech E.

If one's university offers only EE and Mech E, then one could major in EE and/or Mech E, with the other as a minor, or one could do a double major. Some universities allow one to develop one's custom program, but within an existing department, and only with the concurrence of the faculty in those departments.

One might also investigate the field of mechatronics -
    http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/mechatronics/resources.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechatronics_engineering
    http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/933/description#description

6. Jun 23, 2009 #5
    I think there isn't so much practical applications that require combined mechanical/electrical work. Usually they just have mechanical engineers do the mechanical aspects and electrical guys do the electrical aspects. There are some applications that require both, like hard drives as a simple example, which involve a spinning magnet as their principle component. But for most applications it seems like the electrical/mechanical components are handled rather independently.

Edit: Obviously it takes a lot of time to specialize in mechanical OR electrical engr., so if you try to educate somebody in both, it's a little bit impractical. I would guess that's another part of the reason why you don't see these combined programs.

As astronuc said there is "engineering physics" which may be what you are thinking. However, this major doesn't exist at all schools. On the other hand, you can always just study physics, which involves both mechanical and electrical topics, if not as much of an engineering slant. Arguably, engineering and physics (and especially, their education) aren't that different. You can also go into plasma physics, which involves concepts from fluid dynamics, particle motion (mechanical aspects) but also heavy concepts from electrical and magnetic effects.

7. Jun 23, 2009 #6
    The answer probably lies with ABET, the engineering accreditation board. I don't believe they recognize electromechanical as an engineering discipline.

8. Jun 26, 2009 #7
    ABET details electro mechanical as a technology. I attend Middle Tennessee State University, in which I am an electromechanical engieering major.

The degree I am seeking is a bachelor of science degree.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook