Electro-mechanical Engineering

• Thread starter theman408
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary: I am looking into the possibility of obtaining a concentration in control systems. I was wondering if there are any additional courses that I would need to take in order to be eligible for this concentration. I also wanted to know if there are any universities that offer this type of concentration.In summary, there are not many universities that offer degrees in electromechanical engineering. The closest you are going to get is with an Electrical Engineering degree. The reason why this degree is popular is because it combines electrical and mechanical engineering. Most universities offer EE and Mech E programs, but some offer Electro-Mech E. There are also engineering technology programs that include some electromechanical topics. There are also some universities that offer a Engineering Physics program, which may include
theman408
Why isn't there more universities offering such degrees? And why is it mostly "Technician" degrees.

Im curious to know as i find it a pretty interesting engineering branch.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the closest your going to get to that is Electrical Engineering. You should see if your university has an concentration in control systems.

Yep it does.

But i don't know if they offer additional courses in Dynamics, Stress Analysis which would be more of ME.

Electro-mechanical engineering is a hybrid discipline, or a combination of electrical engineering and mechanical engineering. Most universities probably offer EE and Mech E programs, but some offer Electro-Mech E.

See - http://www.loras.edu/academics/program/EleMecEngineering.asp

Still others offer Electromechanical Engineering Technology, which is an engineering technology program, as opposed to an engineering program, which would be more theoretical.

Still others offer an Engineering Physics program which may have elements of EE and Mech E.

If one's university offers only EE and Mech E, then one could major in EE and/or Mech E, with the other as a minor, or one could do a double major. Some universities allow one to develop one's custom program, but within an existing department, and only with the concurrence of the faculty in those departments.

One might also investigate the field of mechatronics -
http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/mechatronics/resources.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechatronics_engineering
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/933/description#description

I think there isn't so much practical applications that require combined mechanical/electrical work. Usually they just have mechanical engineers do the mechanical aspects and electrical guys do the electrical aspects. There are some applications that require both, like hard drives as a simple example, which involve a spinning magnet as their principle component. But for most applications it seems like the electrical/mechanical components are handled rather independently.

Edit: Obviously it takes a lot of time to specialize in mechanical OR electrical engr., so if you try to educate somebody in both, it's a little bit impractical. I would guess that's another part of the reason why you don't see these combined programs.

As astronuc said there is "engineering physics" which may be what you are thinking. However, this major doesn't exist at all schools. On the other hand, you can always just study physics, which involves both mechanical and electrical topics, if not as much of an engineering slant. Arguably, engineering and physics (and especially, their education) aren't that different. You can also go into plasma physics, which involves concepts from fluid dynamics, particle motion (mechanical aspects) but also heavy concepts from electrical and magnetic effects.

The answer probably lies with ABET, the engineering accreditation board. I don't believe they recognize electromechanical as an engineering discipline.

ABET details electro mechanical as a technology. I attend Middle Tennessee State University, in which I am an electromechanical engieering major.

The degree I am seeking is a bachelor of science degree.

Last edited:

1. What is electro-mechanical engineering?

Electro-mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that combines principles of both electrical and mechanical engineering to design, develop, and maintain systems that use electricity and mechanical components to function.

2. What are some common applications of electro-mechanical engineering?

Some common applications of electro-mechanical engineering include robotics, automation, sensors, actuators, and control systems. It is also used in the design and development of consumer electronics, medical devices, and transportation systems.

3. What skills are important for a career in electro-mechanical engineering?

To be successful in electro-mechanical engineering, one must have a strong foundation in both electrical and mechanical engineering principles. Other important skills include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) and programming languages.

4. What types of industries employ electro-mechanical engineers?

Electro-mechanical engineers are employed in a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, healthcare, and telecommunications. They are also in demand in research and development, consulting, and government agencies.

5. What are some current advancements in electro-mechanical engineering?

Some current advancements in electro-mechanical engineering include the development of smart materials, such as shape-memory alloys and piezoelectric materials, which can change shape or produce electricity in response to external stimuli. Other advancements include the integration of artificial intelligence and machine learning in control systems, and the use of renewable energy sources in electro-mechanical systems.