Understanding Voltage Rating for Electro-Mechanical Solenoids in Robotics

• Thread starter abs_vicky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, the conversation discusses the design of an electro-mechanical solenoid as the shooting mechanism in a robot. The purpose of a solenoid is to generate linear mechanical force from an electric current, and the voltage rating is the constant voltage that produces the rated current. In practice, the applied voltage is typically higher than the rated voltage to achieve the desired current in a shorter period of time. The voltage rating is dependent on the coil's resistance and current rating, and a current limiting scheme is used to maintain the rated current.
abs_vicky
I m designing an electro-mechanical solenoid as the shooting mechanism in a robot. Its input is DC current. But, my guide asks me to mention its voltage rating. What is this and how to find it out?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hrmmm, I am prolly going out on a limb here, but aren't all solenoids "electro-mechanical"? The purpose of a solenoid is to generate linear mechanical force from an electric current.

That aside, E = L di/dt . This implies that a change in current has a corresponding change in Voltage. The faster the current changes, the higher the voltage, and the higher the voltage, the faster the current changes.

All real-world, non-superconductor inductors have some resistance. The voltage rating is typically the constant voltage that produces the rated current. In practice the applied voltage is considerably higher than the "rated voltage" to achieve the rated current in a shorter period of time. The rated current is then maintained via PWM or some other current limiting scheme.

So, if your coil has a resistance of 5 ohms and a current rating of 1 amp, then the voltage rating is 5V. You would typically apply >20V to the coil for some period of time ( this figure is actually dependent on the coil's inductance) and then you would use some current limiting scheme for the remainder of the conduction period.

At least this is my impression of "voltage rating" with respect to an inductor. I am sure others will correct me if I have this wrong.

Fish

What is an electro-mechanical solenoid?

An electro-mechanical solenoid is a type of electromechanical device that converts electrical energy into mechanical movement. It consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a metal core, which creates a magnetic field when an electrical current is passed through it. This magnetic field causes the core to move, creating mechanical motion.

What is the difference between an electro-mechanical solenoid and an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of solenoid, but it typically has a much larger coil and is used to generate a stronger magnetic field. An electro-mechanical solenoid, on the other hand, is designed to convert electrical energy into mechanical motion.

What are some common applications of electro-mechanical solenoids?

Electro-mechanical solenoids have a wide range of applications, including in valves, switches, and actuators. They are commonly used in appliances, automobiles, and industrial machinery.

How does an electro-mechanical solenoid work?

An electro-mechanical solenoid works by using the principle of electromagnetism. When an electrical current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that attracts or repels the metal core, depending on the polarity of the current. This movement of the core creates mechanical motion.

What are the advantages of using electro-mechanical solenoids?

Some advantages of using electro-mechanical solenoids include their simple design, high reliability, and fast response time. They also have a long lifespan and can be easily controlled with an electrical signal, making them suitable for a variety of applications.