1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electro-static energy

1. Jun 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a question,it's not homework related..I know the electro-static energy of a sphere is:(3/5)kQ/R

I tried to calculate it today using the expression:
    U = 1/2 * integral (phi * rho dV)
    where: phi is the potential, rho is charge density(uniform), dV is the volume element.

it's not hard to calculate the potential everywhere in space,but my problem is when I integrate over volume elements (4*pi*r^2 dr) should I integrate over:
    r=0 to r=infinity? it doesnt seem reasonable because rho=0 outside the sphere.

anyway I tried to do that,i.e integrating over r=0 to r=R using the potential inside the sphere,but I didnt get the correct answer.

I would love to get some help with this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2007 #2
    You're right: the integral should go over all of space (r = 0 to r = infinity), but since rho is 0 outside of the sphere, all of the integration that goes on outside the sphere amounts to 0. That's why it's OK to only integrate inside the sphere (r = 0 to r = R). So you should be set. If it's not coming out, check your math and your equations again. Is the sphere uniformly charged? Is it a hollow shell with the charge just on the outside? Make sure you know which situation you're looking at.

P.S. I'm guessing that you're equation for the energy in the sphere ( (3/5)kQ/R ) is off. There should be a Q^2 term in there to make the units work...right now you have the units of an electric potential...which is potential energy per unit charge...they're closely related, but there's a distinct difference.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  4. Jun 23, 2007 #3
    of course I meant (3/5)kQ^2/R :)

and you were right,I had a stupid math mistake(I really hate those)

thanks alot.
  5. Jun 23, 2007 #4
    Those will get you every time! Gotta love it :tongue2: Glad it worked out though!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?