Can an Electrochemical Cell Without a Conductor Produce Voltage?

In summary: In voltammetry you measure the potential difference between two points. You could try to measure the potential difference between the capacitor plates once it was charged and disconnected from the battery - obviously there is a measurable voltage, even if the circuit is not closed. It doesn't have to work.I wouldn't care if he believe me or not I only want to know since I couldn't do the experiment by my self :biggrin:btw did you try this expirement or do you have a source you know so I can back myself upNever tried, no source. All electrochemistry experiments I ever did required closed circuits. When the circuit was open, there was no experiment.
tmn50

Homework Statement

let's say we have an electrochemical cell composed of 2 cups each cup contain a metal and the ions of that metal and an acidic componment like H2so4 the two cups arent attached with any kind of conductor
if we try to measure the voltage with a voltmeter would it detect any ? if we use an ampermetere of course it will be 0 cause the thing is open but what about voltage?

Homework Equations

blank

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
any ideas?

IMHO there will be a voltage present, as each electrode is slightly charged - and charges are different, so there must be a potential difference.

IMHO so that's not sure ?

I am sure.

What I am not sure is whether others will agree. As far as I can tell these are murky waters with many interpretations. Or at least I have seen heated debates over details, so I am not going to be surprised if others will disagree with me.

I have to agree on this because on of my teachers said it won't show any voltage because threre is no salt bridge although I tried to explain that voltage doesn't need current but he didn't agree :cry: so I'm stuck

That's exactly the problem.

You can try to ask the teacher if there is a voltage between capacitor plates once it was charged and disconnected from the battery - obviously there is a measurable voltage, even if the circuit is not closed. It doesn't have to work.

I wouldn't care if he believe me or not I only want to know since I couldn't do the experiment by my self :biggrin:

btw did you try this expirement or do you have a source you know so I can back myself up

Never tried, no source. All electrochemistry experiments I ever did required closed circuits. When the circuit was open, there was no experiment.

Then in voltammetry you have no much choice.

Borek said:
Never tried, no source. All electrochemistry experiments I ever did required closed circuits. When the circuit was open, there was no experiment.

Then in voltammetry you have no much choice.

:bugeye::eek::cry:
how will I face him than ?

You are left with a capacitor analogy.

1. What is an electrochemical cell?

An electrochemical cell is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy through a redox reaction. It consists of two electrodes, an anode and a cathode, immersed in an electrolyte solution.

2. How does an electrochemical cell work?

An electrochemical cell works by converting the chemical reactions at the electrodes into electrical energy. The anode undergoes oxidation, releasing electrons, while the cathode undergoes reduction, accepting the electrons. These electrons flow through an external circuit, creating an electrical current. The electrolyte solution allows for the transfer of ions between the electrodes to maintain charge balance.

3. What are the main components of an electrochemical cell?

The main components of an electrochemical cell include two electrodes (anode and cathode), an electrolyte solution, and a separator to prevent contact between the electrodes. Other components may include a metal casing, terminals, and a salt bridge.

4. What factors affect the performance of an electrochemical cell?

The performance of an electrochemical cell can be affected by various factors such as the types of electrodes and electrolyte used, the concentration of the electrolyte solution, the temperature, and the surface area and distance between the electrodes. Other factors include the presence of impurities, the flow rate of the electrolyte, and the external load or resistance in the circuit.

5. What are some real-life applications of electrochemical cells?

Electrochemical cells have a wide range of applications in our daily lives, such as in batteries for electronic devices, vehicles, and renewable energy storage. They are also used in corrosion protection, metal plating, and wastewater treatment. In the medical field, electrochemical cells are used in medical devices such as pacemakers and glucose sensors.