Electrochemical Cell Question.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the balanced REDOX reaction of an electrochemical cell. The participants mention using standard reduction potential to determine which species will be reduced and which will be oxidized. They also note the importance of having a chart of all the REDOX reactions and suggest that the teacher may have covered a similar problem in class. There is also a correction made regarding which electrode will get reduced based on its reduction potential.
Mozart
Hello everyone. I am having trouble with a question on electrochemical cells.
I have to find the balanced REDOX reaction of the cell. All I am given is a diagram with the following information

1. Aluminum electrode submerged in 1 mol/L Aluminum Nitrate Al(NO3)3(aq)

2. Nickel electrode submerged in 1 mol/L Nickel Nitrate Ni(NO3)2(aq)

3.There is a salt bridge KNO3(aq)

With this information I stall because I can't figure out which one is the cathode, and which one is the anode. I know that NO3 is a polyatomic ion with a charge of -1 so that would make Al+3, and Ni+2. How do I figure out which one is being oxidized, and which one is being reduced? If I knew that then I would be able to balance the reaction. Please help me I tried many things, and can't figure it out. My notes don't tell me either so I am guessing its common knowledge that I missed out on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Google "standard reduction potential". The species with a lower (more negative) reduction potential will get reduced. Oxidation happens at the other electrode.

I tried using what you said and arrived at the wrong answer. So I googled standard reduction potential, and electrochemistry and I found the opposite of what you said. Here is an excerpt "The oxidizing agent that has the more positive reduction potential will be more preferentially reduced and therefore will be the stronest oxidizing agent."
I arrived at the right answer after keeping this in mind. Maybe I am reading what you wrote the wrong way.

mozart you are right, the ones which have the highest reduction potential will get reduced, and the one that have the highest oxidation potential (or lowest reduction potential) will get oxidized.

you should have a chart full of all the redox reactions to do this question. and i think your teacher should have went over a similar problem when teaching, beacuse its not a trick question.

Oops, my bad ! Got that backwards, didn't I ? Sorry for the screw up.

Yes, the electrode with the greater (more positive, or less negative) reduction potential will get reduced.

1. What is an electrochemical cell?

An electrochemical cell is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy through redox reactions. It consists of two electrodes, an anode and a cathode, connected by an electrolyte.

2. How does an electrochemical cell work?

An electrochemical cell works by using a chemical reaction to create a flow of electrons from the anode to the cathode. The anode undergoes oxidation, releasing electrons, while the cathode undergoes reduction, accepting the electrons. This flow of electrons creates an electric current.

3. What are the different types of electrochemical cells?

There are two main types of electrochemical cells: galvanic cells (also known as voltaic cells) and electrolytic cells. Galvanic cells use spontaneous redox reactions to generate electricity, while electrolytic cells use an external source of electricity to drive non-spontaneous redox reactions.

4. What are some real-life applications of electrochemical cells?

Electrochemical cells have a wide range of applications, including batteries, fuel cells, corrosion prevention, and metal plating. They are also used in medical devices, such as pacemakers, and in environmental sensors to detect pollutants.

5. How do I calculate the cell potential of an electrochemical cell?

The cell potential of an electrochemical cell can be calculated using the Nernst equation, which takes into account the standard cell potential, the concentrations of the reactants and products, and the temperature. The cell potential can also be measured experimentally using a voltmeter.