1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrochemical Cells Experiment will it work?

1. Dec 10, 2004 #1
    Hello, everyone. I have a project for science fair that I would like to do, but I need verification to see if this will work like I think it will.

My experiment's name is "The Effects of Electricity and Configuration on an Electrochemical Cell". It's wordy, but what can I do? Anyhow, my experiment is to first build a galvanic cell by using a zinc electrode, a copper electrode, a 1 M solution of copper (II) sulfate, and a 1 M solution of zinc sulfate. I'm going to use instead of a salt bridge a porous cup, and I'm measuring my voltage (should be 1.1 volts) with a voltmeter. The reaction in this cell should plate copper on the copper electrode and dissolve away the zinc electrode. My experiment is to see if I can reverse this process by adding electricity.

Basically, I'm going to start with a fresh set of electrodes and solutions, identical to the ones I used in my galvanic cell. But, this time, instead of a voltmeter, I'm inserting a 12V hobby battery into the mixture. I'm connecting the positive end to the zinc electrode.

What I would like to know is "Will this do something unforseeably dangerous?" and "How quick is this reaction going to take place?" If I add more energy, will it speed up the process? I'm only in the 9th grade, so I haven't taken chemistry yet, so please help! Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted