Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrochemical purification

1. Oct 13, 2004 #1
    Hi all

How to purify copper alloys electrochemically ? please describe all possible commerically feseable ways and also pls specify any commerical set ups /resource that can do the above process

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2004 #2

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hello,

I have no knowledge about commercial aspects of electrochemical purification, but I'd say that if you can produce a redox couple on copper, then you can oxidize the other metal and purify it; but the term "pickling" is frequently used for the thing you're asking for, I think.

Pickling is basicly an acidic treatment, but the acid must be of a non-oxidizing one in order not to corrode copper; the other metal(s) in the alloy will eventually be solubilized and leave copper by going into the solution, and copper will remain intact. This may be a good measure.

If the impurities are organic-based, acidic treatment after heating the copper part beyond 500°C will be more helpful.

These are pure-chemical ways to treat an impure copper alloy, but wait for other friends' posts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?