1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrochemistry easy question

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    if you make a battery using only au as both cathode and anode and different concentrations(.0001 and 1) of au+, which would be anode and which would be cathode, what would happen? please illustrate. Any help would be highly appreciated

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2
    Try using the Nernst equation

4. Apr 17, 2008 #3
    I know you can use the Nerst equation, I just want to know what exactly happens with where electrons are going and where ions are going

5. Apr 18, 2008 #4
    the electrode potentials are the same. there will be no potential difference. i don't think there will be a current flowing.

6. Apr 18, 2008 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Electrons won't be going anywhere if there is not a complete circuit - I think you need to describe a complete setup you envisage. What chemical substances are going to be present where?

That said, since you ask about qualitatively envisioning it, what happens when you put two solutions of different concentration in contact? Then whether stuff gets transported by diffusing or some of it by another mechanism, the thermodynamic tendencies are the same.

7. Apr 19, 2008 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

royzizzle, which way must electrons flow in order to end up with equal concentrations of au+?

8. Apr 20, 2008 #7
    i think i misunderstood you question....

i suppose the solution containing the highest concentration of Au3+ will contain the cathode. this is because the reaction of Au3+(aq) + 3e- ----> Au(reduction) will be faster there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?