How Does Electrode Concentration Affect Polarity in a Gold Battery?

In summary: Au3+. this is because the oxidation reaction of Au(aq) ----> Au3+ + 3e- will be faster there. therefore, the electrons will flow from the anode to the cathode, creating a potential difference between the two solutions. in summary, when using only Au as both cathode and anode with different concentrations of Au+, the higher concentration solution will be the cathode and the lower concentration solution will be the anode. This will create a potential difference between the two solutions, causing electrons to flow from the anode to the cathode.
royzizzle
if you make a battery using only au as both cathode and anode and different concentrations(.0001 and 1) of au+, which would be anode and which would be cathode, what would happen? please illustrate. Any help would be highly appreciated

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the Nernst equation

I know you can use the Nerst equation, I just want to know what exactly happens with where electrons are going and where ions are going

the electrode potentials are the same. there will be no potential difference. i don't think there will be a current flowing.

Electrons won't be going anywhere if there is not a complete circuit - I think you need to describe a complete setup you envisage. What chemical substances are going to be present where?

That said, since you ask about qualitatively envisioning it, what happens when you put two solutions of different concentration in contact? Then whether stuff gets transported by diffusing or some of it by another mechanism, the thermodynamic tendencies are the same.

royzizzle, which way must electrons flow in order to end up with equal concentrations of au+?

i think i misunderstood you question...

i suppose the solution containing the highest concentration of Au3+ will contain the cathode. this is because the reaction of Au3+(aq) + 3e- ----> Au(reduction) will be faster there.

1. What is electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the study of the relationship between electricity and chemical reactions. It involves the use of electricity to cause or observe chemical changes.

2. What is an electrochemical cell?

An electrochemical cell is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy or vice versa. It consists of two electrodes (an anode and a cathode) and an electrolyte solution that allows the flow of ions between the electrodes.

3. How does an electrochemical cell work?

An electrochemical cell works by using a redox reaction to generate an electric current. In this process, one electrode (the anode) loses electrons and the other electrode (the cathode) gains electrons. The flow of electrons between the anode and the cathode creates an electric current.

4. What is the difference between a galvanic cell and an electrolytic cell?

A galvanic cell is a type of electrochemical cell that generates electricity from a spontaneous chemical reaction. An electrolytic cell, on the other hand, uses electricity to drive a non-spontaneous reaction. In other words, a galvanic cell produces electricity while an electrolytic cell consumes electricity.

5. What are some real-world applications of electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry has many practical applications, including the production of batteries, the extraction and refining of metals, and the production of chlorine for water treatment. It is also used in fuel cells, corrosion prevention, and electroplating of metals.