Electrochemistry question: n value in ΔG° =-nFE°cell

In summary, to find the standard ΔG for a reaction in an electrochemical cell, you can use the equation ΔG° =-nFE° where n is the number of moles transferred, F is Faraday's constant, and E° is the standard emf of the cell. If you know the standard reduction potentials of the redox reactions happening in each half-cell, you can calculate the standard emf with the equation E°cell=E°reduction, anode-E°reduction, cathode. For the redox reaction 2Fe3+ + 2Cl- ---> 2Fe2+ + Cl2, two electrons are transferred in the balanced equation, so n=2. However, when calculating
rockinrack
If I want to find the standard ΔG for a reaction in an electrochemical cell, I can use the equation ΔG° =-nFE° where n is the number of moles transferred, F is Faraday's constant, and E° is the standard emf of the cell. If I know the standard reduction potentials of the redox reactions happening in each half-cell, I can calculate the standard emf with the equation E°cell=E°reduction, anode-E°reduction, cathode. Standard reduction potentials are calculated under standard conditions, so all concentrations are at 1 molar. Now, consider the redox reaction:
2Fe3+ + 2Cl- ---> 2Fe2+ + Cl2
The two half reactions are:
2Fe3+ + 2e- ---> 2Fe2+
2Cl----> Cl2 + 2e-

So if I calculate E°cell and want to use it to find ΔG°, I just have to determine the value of n, the number of moles of electrons transferred, and plug the values into ΔG° =-nFE°cell. Two electrons are transferred in the balanced equation above, so I could understand using n=2. However, this is the number of moles of electrons transferred for every 2 moles of Fe3+ and Cl- that react, as you can see from the equation. I am trying to calculate the standard ΔG, in which all concentrations are 1 molar, so n=1, correct? 1 mole of electrons is transferred for every one mole of Fe3+ and Cl- that react, and since we are dealing with concentrations of 1 molar, the "concentration" of electrons being transferred is 1 molar (I put concentration in quotes because the electrons themselves are dissolved in solution, but I refer to the number of moles in terms of concentration just to make my point clear.

So does anyone know if n should be 1 or 2? Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
n = number moles electrons involved in 'balanced' oxidation-reduction process. Example ...
Given
Cr3+ + 3e- => Cro; Eo = - 0.74v (Oxidation Rxn)
3Ag+ + 3e- => 3Ago; Eo = + 0.80v (Reduction Rxn)
Cro => Cr3+ + 3e-
3Ag+ + 3e- => 3Ago
Cro + 3Ag+ => Cr3+ + 3Ago (Net Oxidation-Reduction Rxn)

∆Go = -nFEo
n = 3 moles e- for balanced redox equation
F = 96,500 Coulombs
Eo = EoRedn - EoOxdn = (+0.80v) - (-0.74v) = +1.54v
∆Go = - (3)(96,500 C)(1.54v) = -445,830 volt-Coulombs = -445,430 joules = -446 Kj (3 sig. figs)
For your problem, n = 2.

1. What does the n value represent in the equation ΔG° = -nFE°cell in electrochemistry?

The n value represents the number of electrons transferred in the electrochemical reaction. It is also known as the stoichiometric coefficient and is determined by the balanced chemical equation.

2. How does the n value affect the overall value of ΔG° in the equation?

The n value is a crucial factor in determining the magnitude of ΔG°. As it represents the number of electrons transferred in the reaction, a higher n value will result in a more negative ΔG°, indicating a more spontaneous reaction.

3. Can the n value have a fractional or negative value in electrochemical reactions?

No, the n value must be a whole number and cannot be negative as it represents the number of electrons transferred. However, it is possible for the n value to be a fractional number if the reaction involves the transfer of a fraction of an electron.

4. What is the relationship between the n value and the number of moles of electrons transferred in the reaction?

The n value is directly proportional to the number of moles of electrons transferred. This means that a higher n value indicates a greater number of moles of electrons transferred in the reaction.

5. How does the n value affect the cell potential, E°cell, in electrochemical reactions?

The n value is directly proportional to the cell potential, E°cell, in electrochemical reactions. This means that a higher n value will result in a higher E°cell, indicating a more favorable reaction.