1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrochemistry - Redox

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    We have been given the task to write a feature article for a magazine such as new scientist on an area of interest within the following feilds:

-Reduction and oxidation
    -Electrochemistry
    -Electrowinning

I cannot find anything that interests me and has enough relevant information to start this task. I was thinking of doing something on batteries but cannot find anything that has enough information and is worthy of an article. Another thing I thought of may be with the electrolysis of copper and other ores in mines. If anyone else has anything relevant to these categories that you find remotely interesting I'd greatly appreciate a link to the appropriate sources and any background information you can help with. Thanks in advance!

-Background info on task-
    This task requires you to research a justified, significant question or hypothesis about Reduction / Oxidation, Electrochemistry, and/or Electrowinning that is formulated by you. Your research will be non experimental and based in a thorough comparison and explanation of the underlying chemistry (redox) for your chosen topic. Your research will allow you to systematically analyze secondary data to identify relationships, patterns, errors and anomalies in the data analyzed.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Wikipedia seems to be a good starting point when looking for ideas - while it is not the best source of hard evidence, it contains a lot of reasonably accurate and cross linked information. Try to browse starting from batteries or electrolysis.

--
    methods

4. Oct 22, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply Borek, but I have already looked at those two. They are possibilities, but I have 6 weeks so there is no hurry to choose one straight up. I'm just hoping someone has a topic that I have never heard of and interests me. It would make my time a lot more enjoyable.

5. Oct 22, 2009 #4
    Hi,
    maybe you can write on the Reduction and oxidation chainreactions in the human body ?
    For example in the electron transport chain:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_transport_chain
    I hope I could inspire you.

PS: Sorry if my English isn`t too fine (I`m from Germany)

6. Oct 23, 2009 #5
    Thanks firelion.. those topics are the things I am looking for. Out of the ordinary but are still under the categories required. If anyone else has any suggestions please post them asap. I need to start work on it by Monday next week. Thanks

7. Oct 23, 2009 #6
    I´m glad to hear I´m not the only one, who likes such topics ;)
    Maybe you can also writon the action potential of the neurons? they also use electrochemical principels to work.

8. Oct 24, 2009 #7
    Anyone else? Topic signup deadline is incoming :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook