1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Electrochemistry] Reduction potential, keq and kd calculations

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A) Calculate the reduction potential for the reduction of [itex]E \cdot Fe^{3+} (aq)[/itex] by [itex] Fe^{2+}[/itex]
    B)What is the equilibrium expression, equilbrium constant, and [itex]K_{d}[/itex] for [itex]E \cdot Fe^{3+} (aq)[/itex]

Known:
    [itex] Fe^{3+} (aq) + e \rightarrow Fe^{2+}(aq) \hspace{15pt} E = 0.22 V[/itex]
    [itex]E \cdot Fe^{3+} + e \rightarrow E \cdot Fe^{2+} \hspace{15pt} E = -0.75 V [/itex]
    [itex]E \cdot Fe^{2+} (aq) \Leftrightarrow E + Fe^{2+} (aq) \hspace{15pt} K_{d}= 3.7 x 10^{-9} M[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    keq = [products]/[reactants]
    kd = [unbound]/[bound]

3. The attempt at a solution
    A) I'm assuming when the question states "the reduction of [itex]E \cdot Fe^{3+} (aq)[/itex] by [itex] Fe^{2+}[/itex]" it means that the complex is the oxidant and the iron(II) is the reductant.

Then I setup the following know that it is a reduction I want both my oxidant and my reductant on the same side (the left) and switched the signs of the reduction potentials accordingly.

[itex]E \cdot Fe^{3+} + e \rightarrow E \cdot Fe^{2+} \hspace{15pt} E = -0.75 V [/itex]
    [itex] Fe^{2+}(aq) \rightarrow Fe^{3+} (aq) + e \hspace{15pt} E = -0.22 V[/itex]
    addition yields:
    [itex]E \cdot Fe^{3+} + Fe^{2+} \rightarrow E \cdot Fe^{2+} + Fe^{3+} \hspace{15pt} E = -0.97 V [/itex]

B) the keq therefore should be [itex]\frac{[E][Fe^{3+}]}{[E \cdot Fe^{3+}][Fe^{2+}]}[/itex]

but I dont know how to get Kd from there or if I even did part A right?

Any help is appreciated

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?