[Electrochemistry] Reduction potential, keq and kd calculations

In summary, the reduction potential for the reduction of E \cdot Fe^{3+} (aq) by Fe^{2+} is -0.53 V, the equilibrium expression is keq = \frac{[E \cdot Fe^{2+}][Fe^{2+}]}{[E \cdot Fe^{3+}][Fe^{3+}]}, and the equilibrium constant is equal to the keq value while the dissociation constant is the inverse of the equilibrium constant.
HOMO

Homework Statement

A) Calculate the reduction potential for the reduction of [itex]E \cdot Fe^{3+} (aq)[/itex] by [itex] Fe^{2+}[/itex]
B)What is the equilibrium expression, equilbrium constant, and [itex]K_{d}[/itex] for [itex]E \cdot Fe^{3+} (aq)[/itex]

Known:
[itex] Fe^{3+} (aq) + e \rightarrow Fe^{2+}(aq) \hspace{15pt} E = 0.22 V[/itex]
[itex]E \cdot Fe^{3+} + e \rightarrow E \cdot Fe^{2+} \hspace{15pt} E = -0.75 V [/itex]
[itex]E \cdot Fe^{2+} (aq) \Leftrightarrow E + Fe^{2+} (aq) \hspace{15pt} K_{d}= 3.7 x 10^{-9} M[/itex]

Homework Equations

keq = [products]/[reactants]
kd = [unbound]/[bound]

The Attempt at a Solution

A) I'm assuming when the question states "the reduction of [itex]E \cdot Fe^{3+} (aq)[/itex] by [itex] Fe^{2+}[/itex]" it means that the complex is the oxidant and the iron(II) is the reductant.

Then I setup the following know that it is a reduction I want both my oxidant and my reductant on the same side (the left) and switched the signs of the reduction potentials accordingly.

[itex]E \cdot Fe^{3+} + e \rightarrow E \cdot Fe^{2+} \hspace{15pt} E = -0.75 V [/itex]
[itex] Fe^{2+}(aq) \rightarrow Fe^{3+} (aq) + e \hspace{15pt} E = -0.22 V[/itex]
addition yields:
[itex]E \cdot Fe^{3+} + Fe^{2+} \rightarrow E \cdot Fe^{2+} + Fe^{3+} \hspace{15pt} E = -0.97 V [/itex]

B) the keq therefore should be [itex]\frac{[E][Fe^{3+}]}{[E \cdot Fe^{3+}][Fe^{2+}]}[/itex]

but I don't know how to get Kd from there or if I even did part A right?

Any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there!

For part A, you are correct in assuming that the complex is the oxidant and the iron(II) is the reductant. However, when adding the two half-reactions, you should flip the second reaction and its potential, not just switch the sign. This is because the half-reactions are written in the opposite direction to show the flow of electrons. So the correct addition would be:

E \cdot Fe^{3+} + e \rightarrow E \cdot Fe^{2+} \hspace{15pt} E = -0.75 V
Fe^{3+} (aq) + e \rightarrow Fe^{2+} (aq) \hspace{15pt} E = 0.22 V
addition yields:
E \cdot Fe^{3+} + Fe^{3+} \rightarrow E \cdot Fe^{2+} + Fe^{2+} \hspace{15pt} E = -0.53 V

For part B, the equilibrium expression would be:
keq = \frac{[E \cdot Fe^{2+}][Fe^{2+}]}{[E \cdot Fe^{3+}][Fe^{3+}]}

The equilibrium constant (K_{eq}) would be equal to the keq value, and the dissociation constant (K_d) would be the inverse of the equilibrium constant (K_d = \frac{1}{K_{eq}}).

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is reduction potential and how is it calculated?

Reduction potential is a measure of the tendency of a chemical species to gain electrons and be reduced. It is calculated by measuring the voltage difference between a standard hydrogen electrode and the electrode of interest.

2. How is keq calculated in electrochemistry?

Keq, or the equilibrium constant, is calculated by dividing the product of the concentrations of products by the product of the concentrations of reactants at equilibrium. This ratio represents the equilibrium constant expression for the chemical reaction.

3. What is the significance of keq in electrochemistry?

Keq is used to determine the direction and extent of a chemical reaction at equilibrium. It also provides information about the relative concentrations of products and reactants in the system.

4. What is the role of kd in electrochemistry?

Kd, or the dissociation constant, is a measure of the strength of the bond between two molecules. In electrochemistry, it is used to determine the stability of a complex formed between a metal ion and a ligand.

5. How are keq and kd related in electrochemistry?

Keq and kd are related by the equation Keq = 1/Kd, where Kd is the dissociation constant. This relationship shows that a higher value of Kd corresponds to a lower value of Keq, indicating a weaker bond and a lower stability of the complex.