Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrochemisty Concept- Help Plz

1. May 1, 2005 #1
    If E(cell) = E(cathode)-E(anode)

and

E(cell) = (RT/nF)ln K

Then shouldnt E(cathode)-E(anode)=(RT/nF)ln k ?

I have a question asking to find the voltage of the cell and I am given a equilibrium constant.... which means i should use the second equation with "k" in it, and i get the right answer. But why does this value differ from the first equation's E(cell)?

I hope this explains my question, Thx!

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2005 #2
    i thought E(cell) = E(anode) + E(cathode)

4. May 1, 2005 #3
    Welcome to the wonderful world of electrochemistry, perhaps the most confusing area of analytical chemistry. First off the cell potential can be expressed as:

Ecell =E0red + E0ox

or

Ecell =E0red - E0red

As to Ecell=RT/nF ln(K) This is incorrect. Think about it where are the standard redox potentials ? This is actually part of the nernst equation and used to calculate half cell effective potentials (i.e. concentration dependence).

for:

ox + ne- -> red

E=E0+RT/nF ln(K) ... K=[ox]/[red]

So then:

Ecell=Ered - Eox

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  5. May 1, 2005 #4
    Hmm... my text explicitly says Ecell0=(RT/nF)(ln k). The description is "Relating the standard emf of the cell to the equilibrium constant". This is why i thought it should equal the emf calculated from Ered+Eox. Where are the standard redox potentials? I dont know...seems like they should be there. I suppose i understand less than i thought :confused: Thanks for trying to help though.....

6. May 2, 2005 #5
    Sorry, some confusion here on my part. What your talking about is the standard emf, that is when all activities for products and reactants are 1. This then leads to E0=RT/nF ln(K) for a give redox reaction. The value of E0red - E0red should give the same result. Edit: Edit: Are both reduction potentials using the same reference electrode.

Last edited: May 2, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?