Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electroconvulsive Therapy

1. Nov 26, 2004 #1
    A friend of mine has been telling me about a close friend of theirs who has been suffering from severe depression. They recommended Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT). This therapy is known to work wonders for the severly depressed. There is some short term memory loss that can occur in some cases. My friends friend is nervous about this memory loss. I think they're thinking of serious memory loss though. Does anyone know of what level such memory loss can be? I.e. does the patient forget what he had for breakfast or is it something like they forget the last few days etc?

Thanks

Pete

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2004 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This article might have some of those answers. I don't have access to this journal, so couldn't read the full article to find out which cognitive outcomes they tested. If you can get a copy of the article through your library, just reply again if you need help with understanding the terminology used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?