Electrodynamics: An R-C circuit with DC

ExpertIn summary, in a series circuit with a capacitor, the current will not be constant due to the initial uncharged state of the capacitor. While the voltage is shared among all components in a series circuit, the voltage across a capacitor is not constant and therefore affects the voltage across other components.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

I am looking at a R-C circuit (in series) with DC. I am just trying to analyze what happens at the instant the switch is turned on.

If we set up Kirchoff's second law for this system, we can see that the current will not be constant, and this is because the charge of the capacitor builds up.

But my question is: When components are added in series, they share the voltage and have the same current. Is this only true when there is not a capacitor in the circuit?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Niles,

You are correct that the current in a series circuit with a capacitor will not be constant. This is due to the fact that the capacitor is initially uncharged and will act as an open circuit, allowing the full voltage to be applied across it. As the capacitor charges up, the current will decrease until it reaches a steady state.

In a series circuit, the voltage is indeed shared among all the components. However, the voltage across a capacitor is not constant and changes as it charges and discharges. Therefore, the voltage across the other components in the circuit will also vary.

I hope this helps clarify your question. Let me know if you have any further inquiries.

1. What is an R-C circuit?

An R-C circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is used to control the flow of electric current and store electrical energy.

2. What is DC in relation to electrodynamics?

DC stands for direct current and refers to the constant flow of electric charge in one direction in an electrical circuit. It is the opposite of alternating current (AC), which changes direction periodically.

3. What is the role of the resistor in an R-C circuit with DC?

The resistor in an R-C circuit with DC helps to limit the flow of current and control the voltage in the circuit. It also helps to dissipate heat and prevent damage to the other components.

4. How does a capacitor work in an R-C circuit with DC?

A capacitor in an R-C circuit with DC stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. When a voltage is applied, the capacitor charges up and blocks the flow of current, allowing the circuit to maintain a steady voltage.

5. What are the applications of an R-C circuit with DC?

R-C circuits with DC are commonly used in electronic devices such as televisions, radios, and computers. They can also be found in power supplies, voltage regulators, and timing circuits.