1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrodynamics question

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'd type this out but there's a bit too much formulae.
    http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~tristan/MA3431/Homework_1.pdf

It's problem 2. I'm just wondering if my solution is correct.

Thanks in advance!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

In this problem I'm taking Ro = |xo - x'|

The volume in question is charge-free so the charge density, ρ(x'), is zero so the first term on the right hand side of the potential vanishes.

Also, ∂/∂n(1/Ro) = -1/R2o

Substituting this into the potential function gives the required result.

For the second part of 2 we use the divergence theorem (which I wont state here due to my lack of latex skills) as told.

We know that ∂[itex]\Phi[/itex]/∂n = ∇[itex]\Phi[/itex].n and from the definition of the electric field E we end up with -E.n.

When this is used in the divergence theorem we end up with the volume integral of ∇.E which is equal to ρ/ε which vanishes in a charge free volume.

We now have the required expression.

(Haven't gotten to part 3 yet, will be posted soon.)

I know I haven't explained everything in a great way, but it's a lot easier on paper than it is online to write out loads of partials and surface integrals.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Perhaps it was just a typo, but the lefthand side should be written
    $$\left.\frac{\partial}{\partial n}\left(\frac{1}{R}\right)\right|_{R=R_0}.$$ The way you wrote it, you're differentiating the constant 1/R0, so the lefthand side would be equal to 0.

Other than that, what you've done sounds fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook