Is My Solution to Problem 2 in Electrodynamics Correct?

Just remember to carry through the minus sign from the derivative when you substitute into the potential function. Also, for the second part, make sure you're using the correct definition of the electric field. It should be $$E=-\nabla\phi$$rather than $$E=-\nabla\cdot\phi.$$In summary, the problem involves finding the potential due to a charge-free volume using the divergence theorem and the definition of the electric field. There was a small typo in the solution, but overall it seems to be correct.
Maybe_Memorie

Homework Statement

I'd type this out but there's a bit too much formulae.
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~tristan/MA3431/Homework_1.pdf

It's problem 2. I'm just wondering if my solution is correct.

Thanks in advance!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In this problem I'm taking Ro = |xo - x'|

The volume in question is charge-free so the charge density, ρ(x'), is zero so the first term on the right hand side of the potential vanishes.

Also, ∂/∂n(1/Ro) = -1/R2o

Substituting this into the potential function gives the required result.

For the second part of 2 we use the divergence theorem (which I won't state here due to my lack of latex skills) as told.

We know that ∂[itex]\Phi[/itex]/∂n = ∇[itex]\Phi[/itex].n and from the definition of the electric field E we end up with -E.n.

When this is used in the divergence theorem we end up with the volume integral of ∇.E which is equal to ρ/ε which vanishes in a charge free volume.

We now have the required expression.

(Haven't gotten to part 3 yet, will be posted soon.)

I know I haven't explained everything in a great way, but it's a lot easier on paper than it is online to write out loads of partials and surface integrals.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe_Memorie said:

Homework Statement

I'd type this out but there's a bit too much formulae.
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~tristan/MA3431/Homework_1.pdf

It's problem 2. I'm just wondering if my solution is correct.

Thanks in advance!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In this problem I'm taking Ro = |xo - x'|

The volume in question is charge-free so the charge density, ρ(x'), is zero so the first term on the right hand side of the potential vanishes.

Also, ∂/∂n(1/Ro) = -1/R2o
Perhaps it was just a typo, but the lefthand side should be written
$$\left.\frac{\partial}{\partial n}\left(\frac{1}{R}\right)\right|_{R=R_0}.$$ The way you wrote it, you're differentiating the constant 1/R0, so the lefthand side would be equal to 0.

Other than that, what you've done sounds fine.

1. What is electrodynamics?

Electrodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with charged particles.

2. How does electrodynamics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, while electrodynamics focuses on the behavior of electric and magnetic fields at the microscopic level.

3. What are some real-world applications of electrodynamics?

Electrodynamics has numerous applications in modern technology, such as in the development of electronic devices, communication systems, and power generation.

4. What is the significance of Maxwell's equations in electrodynamics?

Maxwell's equations are a set of fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They are essential in understanding and solving problems in electrodynamics.

5. How does electrodynamics relate to other branches of physics?

Electrodynamics is closely related to other branches of physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity. It provides a framework for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields in these theories.