Experimenting with Electrolysis: Mystery of Yellow Water

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving water and electricity. The person used a 9v battery, steel wires, screws, and NaCl to create electrodes in the water. The anode produced gas while the cathode did not. After some time, the water turned yellow and had suspensions inside. It is suggested that the yellow color was caused by Cl^- being oxidized to Cl_2 at the anode and the cathode producing hydrogen gas. It is also mentioned that the steel may have reacted with something in the water. The conversation also considers the possibility of the chlorine reacting with the iron cathode to form iron (III) chloride. The issue was eventually resolved by using carbon electrodes.
Stratosphere
So, today I was bored and decided to play around with some water and electricity. I took a 9v battery and attached 2 steel wires at both terminals, then I attached 2 steel screws to the ends of the wires. I used a bit of NaCl to speed up the process too.

When I placed the electrodes in the water, only the anode was producing any gas, while the cathode was doing absolutely nothing. After several seconds (maybe 45 or so) the water turned a yellow color (almost like chlorine) and has small suspensions inside it. What happened? The yellow color couldn't be cl2 could it?

Maybe the steel reacted strangely with something in the water?

Maybe the Cl is reacting with the iron cathode?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
this is the most common and important electrolysis. at the anode Cl^- are oxidized to yellow Cl_2 (g). at the cathode, the halv reactions involves water molecules, which are easier to reduce than sodium ions. the cathode will forme hydrogen gas. so the solution around this electrode becomes basic

Chlorine is not that soluble in water to not evolve, and even when dissolved, it doesn't substantially change water color. Sounds to me more like you have been dissolving electrode material.

Borek said:
Chlorine is not that soluble in water to not evolve, and even when dissolved, it doesn't substantially change water color. Sounds to me more like you have been dissolving electrode material.

Yeah, I think you're right, I changed the electrodes to carbon, which has eliminated the problem, now I'm getting H2 O2 at the correct places now.

So what do you think happened? The chlorine was reacting with the iron forming iron (III) chloride?

I would first want to commend your curiosity and willingness to experiment. However, it is important to approach experiments with caution and proper safety measures in place. In this case, using a 9v battery and steel wires can be potentially dangerous and I would advise using proper equipment and following safety protocols in future experiments.

Now, onto the results of your experiment. It is possible that the electrolysis process caused the water to turn yellow due to the production of chlorine gas at the anode. This could explain the small suspensions inside the water as well. However, it is unlikely that the yellow color is solely due to chlorine gas, as it usually appears as a greenish-yellow color. It is possible that other compounds in the water, such as minerals or impurities, reacted with the chlorine gas to create the yellow color.

Furthermore, it is possible that the steel wires and screws reacted with the water and contributed to the yellow color. This reaction would depend on the composition of the steel and any impurities present.

In conclusion, the yellow color of the water is likely a result of a combination of factors, including the production of chlorine gas and reactions with other compounds in the water. It is important to carefully analyze and document all aspects of an experiment in order to draw accurate conclusions. I would recommend conducting further experiments with proper equipment and safety measures in place to better understand the results.

1. What is electrolysis?

Electrolysis is a chemical process that uses electricity to break down substances into their component parts. This is achieved by passing an electric current through a substance called an electrolyte, which is usually a liquid or solution.

2. How does electrolysis work?

In electrolysis, an electric current is passed through an electrolyte, causing chemical reactions to occur at the electrodes. This results in the breakdown of the electrolyte into its component parts, which can be gases, liquids, or solids, depending on the substance being electrolyzed.

3. What is the mystery of yellow water in electrolysis?

The mystery of yellow water in electrolysis is a common phenomenon where the electrolyte solution turns yellow during the process. This is due to the formation of a gas called chlorine, which is produced when an electrolyte containing chloride ions is electrolyzed.

4. What are the potential dangers of experimenting with electrolysis?

Some potential dangers of experimenting with electrolysis include the risk of electric shock if proper safety precautions are not taken, the production of toxic gases such as chlorine and hydrogen, and the possibility of chemical burns if the electrolyte comes into contact with skin or eyes.

5. What are some common applications of electrolysis?

Electrolysis has many practical applications, including metal refining, production of chemicals such as chlorine and hydrogen, and electroplating. It is also used in industries such as electronics, pharmaceuticals, and energy production.