Electrolysis of Water: Harnessing Oxygen & Identifying Gas

In summary, during the process of electrolysis on water using a playstation 2 power converter, hydrogen and oxygen are supposed to be formed at the cathode and anode respectively. However, any gas produced from the cathode may appear white or grey due to the presence of water aerosol. To harness oxygen, a platinum, gold, or graphite anode must be used to avoid the production of chlorine gas.
Bluskyz
About 10 minutes ago, I was using my old playstation 2 power converter to perform electroysis on water. If I am correct, hydrogen is supposed to be formed at the cathode and hydrogen is colorless. However, when I started to see little bubbles rise the cathode which i assumed to be hydrogen, I could see a fade little gas rise from the water. I would like to know what this gas could be because I have heard that electrolysis can produce chlorine gas if you use table salt as an electrolyte. Also, oxygen is supposed to be formed on the anode but I think all of it is used to oxidize the metal anode. So how am I supposed to harness the oxygen?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Bluskyz said:
About 10 minutes ago, I was using my old playstation 2 power converter to perform electroysis on water. If I am correct, hydrogen is supposed to be formed at the cathode and hydrogen is colorless. However, when I started to see little bubbles rise the cathode which i assumed to be hydrogen, I could see a fade little gas rise from the water. I would like to know what this gas could be because I have heard that electrolysis can produce chlorine gas if you use table salt as an electrolyte. Also, oxygen is supposed to be formed on the anode but I think all of it is used to oxidize the metal anode. So how am I supposed to harness the oxygen?

Any gas that you got from the cathode would certainly be hydrogen. It is possible that it would bubble off with a bit of water aerosol that might make the gas look white or grey

From the anode you can get oxygen, or chlorine if you have a high chloride concentration (concentrated table salt or hydrochloric acid as electrolyte) or oxidation of a metal anode. The only way to be sure of getting oxygen is to use a platinum, gold, or graphite anode.

Likes Lauren Parrish

What is electrolysis of water?

Electrolysis of water is a chemical reaction that uses an electric current to split water molecules into their component elements: hydrogen and oxygen.

Why is oxygen produced during electrolysis of water?

Oxygen is produced during electrolysis of water because water is composed of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. When an electric current is passed through water, the hydrogen atoms are attracted to the negative electrode, while the oxygen atoms are attracted to the positive electrode.

How is the oxygen gas collected during electrolysis of water?

The oxygen gas is collected by placing a container filled with water over the positive electrode. As the oxygen gas is produced, it rises to the top of the container and can be collected for further use.

What is the purpose of harnessing oxygen during electrolysis of water?

The purpose of harnessing oxygen during electrolysis of water is to produce a clean and renewable source of oxygen gas. This gas can then be used for a variety of purposes, such as in medical applications, as a source of fuel, or in industrial processes.

How can the gas produced during electrolysis of water be identified?

The gas produced during electrolysis of water can be identified by conducting a simple experiment. By holding a glowing splint near the gas, if it ignites and produces a popping sound, it is most likely hydrogen gas. If the gas extinguishes the flame and causes the splint to relight, it is most likely oxygen gas.