1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrolysis of water

Tags:
  1. Feb 17, 2016 #1
    I want to know how to conduct I ampere current through solution.
    For example i have 9V battery and 1 liter of water and i conducted electricity through water. How to calculate the current ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2016 #2
    If t is useful. For example during 1 hour.

4. Feb 17, 2016 #3

Bandit127

Gold Member

Volts = current x resistance. Measure the resistance on your electrodes.

5. Feb 17, 2016 #4

JBA

With the electrodes placed in the water, and the battery disconnected, measure the resistance of the circuit.

6. Feb 17, 2016 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Predicting the current is not possible. I presume you will add electrolyte so some water dissociates to gases? As soon as DC flows bubbles of gas start to accumulate on the electrodes and this interferes with their conduction of current into the solution. For more current, you can try larger electrodes with their larger surface area, but these, too, will become coated with gas. You can agitate the vessel or components to try to dislodge some bubbles and the situation certainly reaches an equilibrium, but I don't think it is easily predicted.

If you are wanting to avoid gas forming on the electrodes, and just do resistivity experiments, you'll need to use low-voltage AC instead of the battery.

Good luck!

7. Feb 18, 2016 #6
    Thanks guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook