Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrolysis, water, and various metals

1. Aug 11, 2013 #1

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I did an experiment, prompted by another thread, and saw something you kids probably see all the time:

pf.2013.08.11.1144am..om.nacl.h2o.pb.battery.experiment.jpg

I was trying to measure the resistance of seawater, and came up with ≈11Ω. End of experiment, or so I thought......

But then I decided that my battery voltage was a bit low and decided to charge it up properly with my 1200 watt charger.

When I was doing this, I decided to do another experiment, and plunged the battery post sized alligator clips into the water for a moment, and saw that the electrolysis effect was about the same. meh. Nothing exciting there. So I went back to charging the battery.

When I came out 30 minutes later, the water in my pyrex was rust colored, and there was a 1/4 inch precipitate of rust colored stuff at the bottom.

I was once again puzzled, and did it again. I plunged the clips into my pseudo-ocean water, and several seconds later, the water turned almost black!

That was a bit ago, and when I went out again, the rust had precipitated to both the top and bottom, there was a black film around the top, and the middle was semi-clear.

I imagine that with chrome plated steel clips crimped to copper wiring attached to lead posts in an oxygen laden atmosphere, that the fluffy white stuff I saw disappear during this 2nd half of my experiment were some types of metal-oxides.

hmmmm....

Sorry for the rant, but if anyone knows why the water turned black, I won't have to google that in the morning.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted