I did an experiment, prompted by another thread, and saw something you kids probably see all the time: I was trying to measure the resistance of seawater, and came up with ≈11Ω. End of experiment, or so I thought...... But then I decided that my battery voltage was a bit low and decided to charge it up properly with my 1200 watt charger. When I was doing this, I decided to do another experiment, and plunged the battery post sized alligator clips into the water for a moment, and saw that the electrolysis effect was about the same. meh. Nothing exciting there. So I went back to charging the battery. When I came out 30 minutes later, the water in my pyrex was rust colored, and there was a 1/4 inch precipitate of rust colored stuff at the bottom. I was once again puzzled, and did it again. I plunged the clips into my pseudo-ocean water, and several seconds later, the water turned almost black! That was a bit ago, and when I went out again, the rust had precipitated to both the top and bottom, there was a black film around the top, and the middle was semi-clear. I imagine that with chrome plated steel clips crimped to copper wiring attached to lead posts in an oxygen laden atmosphere, that the fluffy white stuff I saw disappear during this 2nd half of my experiment were some types of metal-oxides. hmmmm.... Sorry for the rant, but if anyone knows why the water turned black, I won't have to google that in the morning. Thanks!