What do the numbers in front of electrolyte mixtures mean?

• Thread starter Pulik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discussed electrolytes and the meaning of the numbers in front of electrolyte mixtures. The numbers represent the solvent ratio, but there is no specific convention for whether it is measured in mass, volume, or mole fraction. "M" indicates molarity and there is no specific literature recommended for this topic.
Pulik
Hello Everyone,

I have a question about electrolytes. What do the numbers in front of the electrolytes mixtures mean?

For example, let's say we have:
1EC:1DEC or 3EC:7EMC or 3EC:7EMC:1DMC

Is that the volume fraction? If, I have for example 100 grams of 3EC:7EMC, would this mean 30 grams of EC and 70 of EMC? Moreover, sometimes there is a capital M in front, such as 1M or 1.2M, what does this number mean? Can anyone please explain this?

Thank you in advance!

P.S. Can anyone recommend me some literature for this? Something that covers the basics of electrolytes and electrochemistry

Chemistry news on Phys.org
"M" indicates molarity. The rest of the question is too garbled to make out.

Bystander said:
"M" indicates molarity. The rest of the question is too garbled to make out.

Thank you for the answer. I think the question is pretty clear. But anyways, I will truncate the question: How can one read a mixture like this 3EC:7EMC (where EC is Ethylene Carbonate and EMC is ethylmethyl carbonate)? What does 3 and 7 represent? Sometimes, it is written as EC:EMC (3:7 of wt) or simply EC:EMC (3:7)

It's a solvent ratio. The electrolytes themselves are dissolved in the solvent(s). Mass? Volume? Mole fraction? There is no convention.

Thank you! Can you please put it in a formula or can you please send me a link where I can read about solvent ratio in electrolytes (with notations)?

What is electrolyte notation?

Electrolyte notation is a shorthand method for representing the chemical components of an electrolyte solution. It includes the chemical symbols of the ions present and their respective charges.

How is electrolyte notation written?

Electrolyte notation is written with the positively charged ion first, followed by the negatively charged ion. If there is more than one ion of each type, it is indicated with a subscript number after the ion's chemical symbol.

What is the purpose of using electrolyte notation?

Electrolyte notation allows scientists to easily represent the composition of an electrolyte solution and understand its properties, such as its conductivity and reactivity.

How is the charge of an ion indicated in electrolyte notation?

The charge of an ion is indicated as a superscript number after the ion's chemical symbol. A positive charge is represented by a plus sign (+) and a negative charge by a minus sign (-).

Can electrolyte notation be used for all types of electrolytes?

Yes, electrolyte notation can be used for both ionic and molecular electrolytes. However, for molecular electrolytes, the notation will only include the ions that are formed when the compound dissociates in solution.