1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromag Potential difference

1. Sep 22, 2005 #1
    Hello forum dwellers :D

I recent have been coming across questions which deal with large arrangements of resistors and in other cases circuits with open switches where the goal is to calculate the potential difference.

These questions have been causing me quite a bit of strife and i was hoping for some help on a few of worse ones.

1) Shown is a wire cube made from wire that has a resistance of R along each of its twelve sides. What is the resistance of the network of resistors between points A and B?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2005 #2
    And next, one of these potential difference questions I have talked about
  4. Sep 22, 2005 #3
    And next the potential difference question.

your help is much appreciated,

Attached Files:

5. Sep 22, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

1) The diagram is not opening still I can guess that the AB will be a body diagonal, a face diagonal or a side. In any of the case knowing the equipotential points, and considering them connected through conducting wires will not change the currents but the circuit becomes quiet simple. Have a try. Best of luck!!
  6. Sep 23, 2005 #5
    Hey, i noticed you used some terms.. "a body diagonal, a face diagonal or a side" i am not aware of what these mean.

And also the aim is to find the resistance between points, im not sure if you were looking for that or the voltage in your post.. ?

7. Sep 24, 2005 #6

Homework Helper

Now I can see your first diagram. AB is the body diagonal. Each surface of a cube is a square and the diagonal of any square surface of the cube is called face diagonal. I think you know the side of a cube.
  8. Sep 24, 2005 #7

Homework Helper

For the first problem from A the three sides (resistors) A1, A2 and A3 are symmetrical with point A. Similarly these points are symmetrical about point B. Hence with our commonsense we can guess that the three pains are equipotential and so the three resistances A1, A2 and A3 may be considered parallel.

Similarly points 4, 5, and 6 are equipotential. So resistances 4B, 5B and 6B are in parallel.

Rest of six are connected such that one end is with 1, 2 or 3 and the other point is with 4,5, of 6 and so parallel with each other.

In total we can say that the first three resistance are in parallel then in series with next six,which are in parallel, and then in series with next three which are parallel.
    gives total resistance 5R/6.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?