1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnet construction questions

1. Mar 29, 2008 #1
    I need a bit of help in constructing 2 small electromagnets with opposite poles for quickly moving a 4 or 8lb pull rare-earth magnet back and forth ~ 3 cm, farther if need be.
    _______ _______ ________
    |e-mag 1|-----|r.e.mag|-----|e-mag 2| ("---" being a rail)

(sry for my bad attempt at a visual)

My only real constraint is that I need it to run off a couple AA/AAA or 9v batteries, though I would prefer to keep things around 1.5" in diameter.

I guess my most important questions would be:

1) What material wire should I use to wind the cores? (I have a lot of copper, 99.9% Ag, and various other wire in 18-20 guage)

2) What size wire should I be using?

3) What is the possibility of switching the polarity of the magnets quickly?

Sorry if my request is slightly strange, but I've been tinkering around for a couple weeks, reading various forums and am still getting nowhere fast. Each magnet I've made (about 20) won't repel the rare-earth magnet at all from the ferrite core i've been using and the dead batteries are starting to pile up. :grin:

If all else fails, does anybody know where I might be able to purchase a suitable electromagnet or what I can rip something similar out of?

Thanks for any help you might give me at all.

-Bolt

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted