1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnet equation help

1. Jun 16, 2006 #1
    lately i have been really interested in electromagnets. i have been building small ones and i will eventually (at least i want to anyway) build a strong electromagnet (not some toy). from what i understand you can increase the strength of an electromagnet by adding more current, turning the wire more and adding a solenoid. for a start anyway i want to know the equations on how to determine the strength of an electromagnet with an iron core. the problem is for one of course, i don't know any equations on electromagnetic strength but two, i have a really hard time with all the different fraises used in the equations (ex. permeability). I just get totally confused. can someone please help CLEARLY explain the equation for the strength of an electromagnet? any help will be appreciated.
    thx:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 16, 2006 #3
    good amount of info but i'm still missing the equation to calculate an electromagnet's strength

5. Jun 16, 2006 #4

berkeman

Hmmm. You're right, no equations. I'm being lazy today, so here's a better explanation from wikipedia with equations. Hope they help. Keep in mind that the force varies a lot with the separation of the electromagnet and the target metal piece.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnet

6. Jun 16, 2006 #5
    i'm always lazy:rofl: . thx maybe i can finally figure how to calculate the strength

7. Jun 17, 2006 #6

Astronuc

8. Jun 17, 2006 #7
    you can increase the strength of the electromagnet by making it's length short but with lots and lots of turns. That would make a shape of a disk.

9. Jun 18, 2006 #8
    i must be screwing up with the equation. somehow i get 3.17 tesla from a wire wrapped around a core 800 times with a core with 200 permeability and 1 amperes. it must be wrong. Can someone who knows what they're doing double check plz?

thx

10. Jun 19, 2006 #9

Astronuc

It would help if you write the formula/equation, and then show the values you are using.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?