Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnet equation help

1. Jun 16, 2006 #1
    lately i have been really interested in electromagnets. i have been building small ones and i will eventually (at least i want to anyway) build a strong electromagnet (not some toy). from what i understand you can increase the strength of an electromagnet by adding more current, turning the wire more and adding a solenoid. for a start anyway i want to know the equations on how to determine the strength of an electromagnet with an iron core. the problem is for one of course, i don't know any equations on electromagnetic strength but two, i have a really hard time with all the different fraises used in the equations (ex. permeability). I just get totally confused. can someone please help CLEARLY explain the equation for the strength of an electromagnet? any help will be appreciated.
    thx:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 16, 2006 #3
    good amount of info but i'm still missing the equation to calculate an electromagnet's strength

5. Jun 16, 2006 #4

berkeman

Hmmm. You're right, no equations. I'm being lazy today, so here's a better explanation from wikipedia with equations. Hope they help. Keep in mind that the force varies a lot with the separation of the electromagnet and the target metal piece.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnet

6. Jun 16, 2006 #5
    i'm always lazy:rofl: . thx maybe i can finally figure how to calculate the strength

7. Jun 17, 2006 #6

Astronuc

8. Jun 17, 2006 #7
    you can increase the strength of the electromagnet by making it's length short but with lots and lots of turns. That would make a shape of a disk.

9. Jun 18, 2006 #8
    i must be screwing up with the equation. somehow i get 3.17 tesla from a wire wrapped around a core 800 times with a core with 200 permeability and 1 amperes. it must be wrong. Can someone who knows what they're doing double check plz?

thx

10. Jun 19, 2006 #9

Astronuc

It would help if you write the formula/equation, and then show the values you are using.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?