How can I determine the strength of an electromagnet with an iron core?

In summary, the conversation is about the interest in electromagnets and the desire to build a strong electromagnet. The person is seeking help in understanding the equations to determine the strength of an electromagnet with an iron core, but is having difficulty due to unfamiliar terminology such as permeability. Some helpful resources are provided, including a link to HowStuffWorks.com and Wikipedia for explanations and equations. It is also mentioned that Hyperphysics and their equations can be used to increase the strength of the electromagnet. The conversation ends with a request for someone to check their calculations for an electromagnet with 800 turns, a core permeability of 200, and 1 ampere.
hover
lately i have been really interested in electromagnets. i have been building small ones and i will eventually (at least i want to anyway) build a strong electromagnet (not some toy). from what i understand you can increase the strength of an electromagnet by adding more current, turning the wire more and adding a solenoid. for a start anyway i want to know the equations on how to determine the strength of an electromagnet with an iron core. the problem is for one of course, i don't know any equations on electromagnetic strength but two, i have a really hard time with all the different fraises used in the equations (ex. permeability). I just get totally confused. can someone please help CLEARLY explain the equation for the strength of an electromagnet? any help will be appreciated.
thx:smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
Welcome to FP, hover. Here's a good start from HowStuffWorks.com:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/electromagnet.htm

good amount of info but I'm still missing the equation to calculate an electromagnet's strength

hover said:
good amount of info but I'm still missing the equation to calculate an electromagnet's strength
Hmmm. You're right, no equations. I'm being lazy today, so here's a better explanation from wikipedia with equations. Hope they help. Keep in mind that the force varies a lot with the separation of the electromagnet and the target metal piece.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnet

berkeman said:
Hmmm. You're right, no equations. I'm being lazy today, so here's a better explanation from wikipedia with equations. Hope they help. Keep in mind that the force varies a lot with the separation of the electromagnet and the target metal piece.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnet

i'm always lazy:rofl: . thanks maybe i can finally figure how to calculate the strength

you can increase the strength of the electromagnet by making it's length short but with lots and lots of turns. That would make a shape of a disk.

Astronuc said:
Hyperphysics is a good resource with equations as well as explanations.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/solenoid.html

i must be screwing up with the equation. somehow i get 3.17 tesla from a wire wrapped around a core 800 times with a core with 200 permeability and 1 amperes. it must be wrong. Can someone who knows what they're doing double check please?

thx

It would help if you write the formula/equation, and then show the values you are using.

1. What is the equation for calculating the strength of an electromagnet?

The equation for calculating the strength of an electromagnet is F = (N x I)^2 x μ0 x A / (2 x g^2), where F is the force, N is the number of turns, I is the current, μ0 is the permeability of free space, A is the cross-sectional area of the core, and g is the length of the core.

2. How does the number of turns and current affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet is directly proportional to both the number of turns and the current. This means that increasing either one will result in a stronger electromagnet.

3. What is the role of permeability in the electromagnet equation?

Permeability, represented by the symbol μ0, is a constant that represents the ability of a material to support the formation of a magnetic field. It is an important factor in the electromagnet equation as it determines how easily a material can be magnetized, and therefore affects the overall strength of the electromagnet.

4. Can the electromagnet equation be applied to all types of magnets?

No, the electromagnet equation is specifically for calculating the strength of an electromagnet, which is a temporary magnet created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. Permanent magnets, such as those made from iron or cobalt, have their own unique equations for determining strength.

5. How can I use the electromagnet equation in practical applications?

The electromagnet equation can be used to design and build electromagnets for various applications, such as in motors, generators, and magnetic levitation systems. It can also be used to test and compare the strength of different electromagnets in laboratory experiments.