Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnet help

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1
    Hi all, just came across the forum and I must say I am in heaven, great site!

I am trying to figure a way to control the timing of electric pulses to an array of electromagnets... some in the array need to just be controlled for standard on/off function, while others need to have control over polarity, ie cycling +/- to then -/+ to control attraction and repulsion...

I don't think there is any simple solution to this - but I would love some input... I am not sure what this would be called so I am having a hard time searching as I am not sure what the proper keywords would be...

Anywho thanks for any help that can be given!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

To do the polarity switching, an "H-Bridge" circuit is often used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-bridge

4. Jun 30, 2011 #3
    Thanks berkeman, looks like that will do just what I want... was also looking at reed switch for timing, otherwise I would have to go with something like a cars distributor, although this method being mechanical I don't think would have the amount of control over precise timing as I would with a reed and the H-Bridge...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook