1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnet problem

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1
    Hello All!

I have a 24V 24A DC power supply that I am trying to hook a 50 loop electromagnet using 22 gauge non insulated copper wire and a small steel nail. Every time I hook the electromagnet to the power supply it sparks and Humms. So I put a 220 ohm resistor inline and it did not spark but there was almost no magnetic field strength. When I hooked my electromagnet to two D batteries that I tapped together using electrical tape the magnetic field was SOOO much stronger than when I hooked it up to the power supply. What?!? That shouldn't happen. It should be the opposite. What am I doing wrong? Is there something else I can put inline besides the resistor so that the magnetic field will be strong? I really want to use the power supply to power the electromagnet. How can I make this work???

Thanks everyone.
    Stephen

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2
    bump...

I would really like to know how I can get my electromagnet to work with my 24V 24A DC power supply. Any Ideas????

4. Feb 12, 2009 #3

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Easy, you don't have very much current (24V / 220 Ohm is about 0.1 A) Since the field is proportional (roughly) to the current, you don't have a very high magnetic field.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnet#Magnetic_field_created_by_a_current

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook