Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnet pull field

1. Jul 7, 2010 #1
    I was inquiring about how much force will a 1000 lb pull force electromagnet pull at 4-6 inches away from the magnet

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2010 #2
    The precise shape and strength of the magnetic field will depend in a complex way on the shape and materials of the magnet.

There is no way of knowing.

4. Jul 8, 2010 #3
    it is a 6 inch radius and it is cylinder shaped pulling a 4 inch cylinder shaped object

5. Jul 8, 2010 #4
    That's science-speak for 'impossibly complicated and impossible to know without doing lots and lots and lots of careful measurements and probably not even then'

6. Jul 8, 2010 #5
    A quick guesstimation, involving the simply geometric assumptions and properties, I would put the force at 4 and 6 inches at 360 lb and 250 lb respectively. Of course, as already stated, materials, configurations, etc., could be chosen to blow this out of the water.

Assuming the magnet is a sphere with a 6 inch radius, the 1000 lb force is effective at 6 inches from the magnet. Thus 4 and 6 inches from the magnet becomes 10 and 12 inches respectively. Simplest force law representation is the inverse square law, m/r^2. Since m/r^2 = 1000 where r = 6 at the magnet surface, then m = 3600. Now solve for other r. Note: this is only roughly valid in the units provided, and a slew of other assumptions about geometry and material properties. But probably good enough for many purposes.

7. Jul 8, 2010 #6
    Yea, my first thought was to attempt a simple 1/r^2 solution but I decided the likely geometry of a magnet would be flat pole pieces. The approximation to a sphere is just too wild for my taste.

I should imagine this is a ring magnet anyway. The field would be highly localised.

8. Jul 8, 2010 #7
    Yes, if the magnet is flat, and the 1000 lb pull is at the flat surface, you've blown my calculation out of the water :tongue:

9. Jul 8, 2010 #8
    the magnet is 6 inch radius flat surface it has a pull force of 1000 lbs kinda shaped like a can and the object it is pulling would be on my first guess a iron core object but i am open to any suggestions i just wanted to have a good idea of how much becuase it cost alot to buy the magnet

10. Jul 8, 2010 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the best way to answer this question would be to do a measurement. Also, the force will depend on the material in the object being attracted to the magnet.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook