Can a homemade electromagnet with aluminum strips withstand 120 volts?

In summary, an electromagnet with aluminum strips will be able to send juice through the coil with 120 volts of current, but it will be dangerous to work with and you should get an idea of what you're doing before attempting it.
Mindstormed
I'm not too knowledgeable on electricity, but I'm constructing an electromagnet with aluminum strips as the coil and using a 120 volt household current. Proposing to solder an extension cord to the strip coil.

1. When it is plugged into the outlet, will it automatically send juice through the coil? or does it have to be triggered someway like an appliance's on & off switch? If it DOES have to be triggered, how do I do that?

2. I'm ordering some aluminum strips that are advertised to withstand up to 500 volts d.c.. The seller says he needs the minimum & maximum resistance (ohms) since the strip thickness depends on it. How would I determine the resistance based on 120 house hold volts? (I'd really like it to have a capability of withstanding up to 450 volts) Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please be careful with whatever you are doing. I don't understand what you are trying to make (with aluminum strips?), and it doesn't sound like you've worked with AC mains power before. AC mains power is very dangerous, and you can start a fire or electrocute somebody pretty easily.

What are you going to use the electromagnet for? Are you familiar at all with UL standards for safety in electrical appliances? Do you know how to fuse an appliance that is going to be plugged into an AC mains outlet? What are the UL regulations for insulation, grounding, etc., that apply to the electromagnet that you want to build?

Just be careful when dealing with mains power with your lack of experience.

(1) That depends on how you build your circuit. If there is a closed path i.e. no switch\closed switch; then current will flow through the coil.

I hesitate to tell you more though as the mentors may get angry.

edit: berkedude covered the safety issues pretty good. Listen to him; its in your best interest :)

I don't know too much about what you're trying to do, but please take every precaution as the others mentioned. You really should get familiar with low-power magnets run from batteries before you even think about plugging into the mains. What on Earth do you want this thing for, anyhow?
I've never heard of aluminum strips being used. How are they insulated?

You're asking for all kinds of trouble experimenting with
direct AC mains powered electromagnets and
especially using aluminium strips for the coil!

You can't easily (at all) solder to aluminium.
The resistance will likely be very unstable due to
temperature as well as possible short circuits that may
be introduced in winding the thing.
You'll very likely either blow the circuit breaker or fuse
or will generate so much heat that the wires / strips will
start to melt which probably *will* cause the thing to short
out if it hadn't done so already.

Electromagnets work best on high current, and usually
don't require any kind of high voltage unless you have
large lengths (hundreds of feet) of very thin wire.

I'd suggest you get something like a 3V or 6V DC operated
motor or relay or 12V solenoid,
electromagnetic doorbell, or something like that
that's already got an efficient low voltage electromagnet
in it and tinker with that powered by a couple
of rechargable batteries or maybe a 2 amp 6 Volt isolated
DC power supply or so on. It'd be relatively a lot safer.

You can only get something like 20 Amps out of a
basic household AC circuit, so unless you had a 120V
circuit and something like 600 feet of 20 gauge wire
there'd be just no point whatsoever in using anywhere
near mains level voltage.

Even a common PC's power supply in the 500-600Watt
range would give you around 20 to 30 amps at 5V
which would be better suited to something like a
200 foot or so long coil of 12 gague copper wire.

That on an stout iron core would certainly be a fine
modestly strong electromagnet using a much safer
much lower voltage.

Of course there are relatively inexpensive permanent
magnets made from rare Earth materials out there for
just a few dollars each, and they're probably stronger
than almost any electromagnet one could hope to build
without a lot of engineering effort, and they don't need
power at all, though one must be respectful of their
strength and not get injured by their intense forces
of attraction!

Don't build any electromagnets that take more than
a few watts of power or more than 12 Volts of voltage
unless you've gotten solid information on how to be safe
with the voltages, currents, and heat levels that will be
produced by such a device!

1. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. This creates a magnetic field around the coil, making it behave like a regular magnet. Unlike permanent magnets, the strength of an electromagnet can be controlled by adjusting the amount of electric current passing through the wire.

2. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by utilizing the principle of electromagnetism, which states that an electric current passing through a wire creates a magnetic field around the wire. When the current is turned off, the magnetic field disappears. By using a coil of wire, the magnetic field is intensified, making the electromagnet stronger.

3. What are some examples of electromagnets?

Some common examples of electromagnets include doorbells, speakers, MRI machines, and electric motors. Electromagnets are also used in various industrial applications, such as lifting heavy objects in factories or separating magnetic materials in recycling plants.

4. How is the strength of an electromagnet determined?

The strength of an electromagnet is determined by the amount of electric current passing through the wire, the number of coils in the wire, and the type of core material used. Generally, the more current and coils, and the higher the magnetic permeability of the core material, the stronger the electromagnet will be.

5. What are the advantages of using an electromagnet?

One of the main advantages of using an electromagnet is that its strength can be easily controlled by adjusting the electric current. This makes electromagnets more versatile than permanent magnets, which have a fixed strength. Additionally, electromagnets can be turned on and off, unlike permanent magnets, which are always active. This makes them more energy-efficient and safer to use in certain applications.

Back