Could Electromagnet Vibration Indicate a Current Limit in the Power Supply?

In summary, a person used two permanent magnets from an old hard drive on a breadboard to experiment with logic chips. They wrapped wire around one of the magnets and noticed a vibration when the power was turned on. After some experimentation, they concluded that the vibration was caused by the magnetic field in the coil repelling the magnet due to the weak field and polar structure. They suggested trying a different power source to avoid the vibrations and also mentioned the possibility of the power supply going into current limit and causing the pulsing.
SmashtheVan
Hey, so I just ripped the two permanent magnets out of an old seagate hard drive, and have a breadboard for my electronics class to practice with logic chips, and figured id wrap some wire around one of the magnets and see what happens.

I got around 10 turns of the wire about the magnet, and noticed when i turned the power on (5V), there was a vibration that could be felt in the magnet/wire. when power was turned off this went away.

can anyone give me a reason as to what phenomenon this was? My e+m was always shaky, so any help is appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
after some playing around, I am deducing this vibration is from the magnetic field in the coil due to current, repelling the magnet, but due to the polar structure of the magnet and the weak field, this leads to a small vibration

Sound like you're using either 5Vac, or there is significant AC present in an otherwise 5 Vdc source. You're pretty much right, this creates an AC component in the coil's magnetic field which creates the vibration.

I don't know how much current you're drawing, but you might try 3 D-cell batteries as a power source. Those should not cause vibrations.

My guess is the power supply is going into current limit and the pulsing is a sort of sampling that I've seen some supplies use to determine whether or not to try to regulate a constant voltage. Yours may not be the type of supply that I have seen do this, but I thought I'd throw it out.

1. What is electromagnet vibration?

Electromagnet vibration is the oscillation or movement of an electromagnet caused by the interaction between an electric current and a magnetic field. This phenomenon is commonly used in devices such as speakers, motors, and generators.

2. How does electromagnet vibration work?

Electromagnet vibration works by applying an electric current to a wire coil, which produces a magnetic field. When the current changes direction, the magnetic field also changes, causing the electromagnet to vibrate. This vibration can be controlled and amplified by adjusting the current and the properties of the wire coil.

3. What are the applications of electromagnet vibration?

Electromagnet vibration has a wide range of applications, including in speakers, where it converts electrical signals into sound waves, and in motors, where it creates rotational motion. It is also used in generators to produce electricity and in medical imaging machines such as MRI scanners.

4. What factors affect the strength of electromagnet vibration?

The strength of electromagnet vibration depends on several factors, including the strength of the electric current, the number of wire coils in the electromagnet, and the properties of the materials used to make the electromagnet, such as the type of wire and the strength of the magnetic field produced by the magnet.

5. How can electromagnet vibration be controlled and manipulated?

Electromagnet vibration can be controlled and manipulated by adjusting the electric current, the properties of the wire coil, and the magnetic field strength. This can be done by using different types of wire, changing the number of wire coils, and applying external magnetic fields to the electromagnet.