Comparing Strength of Electromagnets and Neodymium Magnets at 4 oz and 12v

In summary, Electromagnets are stronger than neodymium magnets when they are the same size and weight. They are also not limited by voltage, but rather by current. For small quantities, neodymium magnets are recommended, but for larger quantities over 1lb, electromagnets with an iron core should be used. It is important to keep an eye on the electromagnet when using high current power supplies to prevent overheating and burning out quickly.
THORPE
Which one is stronger given they are the same size and weight? Say 4 oz.

Just say you only have 12v to work with on the electromagnet.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Electromagnets scale better then neodymium.
For small quantities, I would say go for neodymium.
Anything past 1lb or so, I would use electromagnets with a iron core.

Also, electromagnets aren't limited by the voltage, but rather the current (as its essentially a short circuit)
I've used 2Amp power supplies before, however you need to keep an eye out on the electromagnet as it will warm up and burn out quickly.

That's good news. Thanks for the info you saved me tons of time.

What is the difference between an electromagnet and a neodymium magnet?

An electromagnet is a temporary magnet that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. A neodymium magnet, on the other hand, is a permanent magnet made of neodymium, iron, and boron (NdFeB) that produces a strong magnetic field.

Which one is stronger, an electromagnet or a neodymium magnet?

Neodymium magnets are significantly stronger than electromagnets. They have a much higher magnetic field strength and can attract objects from a greater distance.

Can an electromagnet be turned on and off?

Yes, an electromagnet can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity through it. When the current is turned off, the magnetic field disappears.

What are the main applications of electromagnets and neodymium magnets?

Electromagnets are commonly used in electric motors, generators, and speakers. Neodymium magnets are often used in headphones, hard drives, and speakers, as well as in medical devices and industrial equipment.

Which one is more cost-effective, an electromagnet or a neodymium magnet?

It depends on the specific application. Electromagnets can be more cost-effective for temporary uses, while neodymium magnets may be a better investment for long-term applications due to their durability and strong magnetic field.