Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnet with transistor

1. Oct 1, 2015 #1
    I'm working on a project where i need to control an electromagnet but I'm not sure how to do it. I tried using a npn but the current passing through the magnet is just to small, should I use a mosfet instead.
    The specifications for my project say that they will provide us with 9 volts and a maximum of 6 amperes, but how do i reduce that current (because it's too much right?) and how should I connect my circuit?
    Any help will be appreciated
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Daniel
    welcome to PF :smile:

what do you mean by "control an electromagnet" ?
    in what way do you want to control it ?

Dave

4. Oct 1, 2015 #3
    I need to control it with an atmega 328. I don't care too much about the software part because as far as I know I just need to enable one of the pins of the chip to activate the transistor, the thing is that I'm not sure which transistor I should use. I was using a voltage supply with 9 volts and about 1 amp but when I used the transistor the current dropped to 0.3 amp. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or maybe I'm not using an appropriate transistor

5. Oct 2, 2015 #4

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook