1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnet within a coil

1. Apr 23, 2010 #1

JJBladester

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hooking up voltage to a solenoid (coil of wire) creates an electromagnet. Moving the electromagnet in and out of a larger coil hooked up to a galvanometer creates an emf (voltage) in the larger current.

Does an emf get created for a *stationary* electromagnet inside a larger coil of wire?

2. Relevant equations

Voltage generated = [tex]-N\frac{\Delta(BA)}{\Delta(t)}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt at the solution included burning 3 resistors. I hooked up 6VDC to a 10 ohm resistor in series with the smaller coil (electromagnet). Before I could count to five, the resistor was glowing hot. I increased the resistor to 27 ohms and the same thing happened (twice).

So, afraid of getting kicked by my professor, I wasn't able to directly see what was happening with a stationary electromagnetic coil inside the larger solenoid. Should the galvanometer's needle move when the electromagnet is stationary and not moving?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2010 #2
    Could you predict what will happen with the equation you wrote down?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook