1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic duality

1. Nov 12, 2014 #1
    So, I'm trying to show that by duality [itex]B_{i}\rightarrow E_{i}[/itex], using tensor notation. I've done it in a different way, and it works (starting from [itex]\overline{F}_{ij}[/itex], the dual of F_ij), but I would like to get it from B_i directly. Where am I going wrong?

This is what I did:

[tex]B_{i}=\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{ijk}F^{jk}\rightarrow B'_{i}=\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{ijk}(i\overline{F}^{jk})=\frac{1}{2}i\epsilon_{ijk}(-\frac{1}{2}i\epsilon^{jk\rho\sigma}F_{\rho\sigma})[/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{1}{4}\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon^{jk\rho\sigma}F_{\rho\sigma}=\frac{1}{4}\epsilon_{0ijk}\epsilon^{jk0i}F_{0i}[/tex]

where in the last line I have inserted an extra 0-index in the Levi-Civita symbol (although I am not sure I know how to deal with zeros with epsilon), and made the substitution [itex](\rho,\sigma)\rightarrow(0,i)[/itex].

However I calculate this to be [itex]-\frac{3}{2}F_{i0}[/itex] when it should be just [itex]F_{i0}=E_{i}[/itex]

Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2014 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't understand your first equation for B'. B_i in the dual F is the 0i row, not what you write.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook