Electromagnetic Field, H vs. B

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of magnetic field strength, denoted as H and B, and their differences. H is the magnetic field strength that depends on the free current (I) in the conductor loop and is used by experimentalists to control the amount of magnetic field. B is the fundamental magnetic field that is independent of the source and can be affected by the type of material used. The conversation also mentions three recommended references for further understanding of electromagnetism and its applications.
temujin
I have a problem understanding the meaning of magnetic field strength, denotet H.

I have the following example from a textbook:

1. The path of magnetic field strength developed in a conductor loop is given by the formula H = (I*N*R^2) / (2*sqrt(R^2+x^2)^3)
I = current
N=number of turns
R=radius of loop
x=distance from the center.

Now, my textbook says "If a soft iron core is inserted into a coil-all other things remaining equal-then the force acting on a magnetic needle will increase. I*N remains constant and therefore so does the field strength. However, the flux density "B" -the total number of flux lines-which is decisive for the force generated has increased."

So if the magnetic force acting on a magnetic needle increases, why does not the field strength increase. And what exactly is the difference between H and B. Does anyone know any good web sites, tutorials etc on electromagnetism, inductive coupling.

t.

Physics news on Phys.org
Three good references are:
1. Intro to Electromagnetic Compatibility by Clayton Paul
2. Noise Reduction Techniques in Electronic Systems by Henry Ott
3. Electromagnetic Compatibility Handbook by Kenneth Kaiser

The first two are required reading for EMC/EMI engineers (or should be!). The third is a 2600 page book that instructs through examples. I would start with the first two. Additionally you could look at college level texts such as Electromagnetics by Kraus or Applied Electromagnetics by Shen and Kong (if it is still in print.

Gosh it's been so long since I studie EM in college.
Difference between H and B is that, one is the Electric field and the other is the magnetic field. They always accompany each other perpendicular to each other.

I am sure someone here will be able to post something more detailed. Until try Google.

amt said:
Difference between H and B is that, one is the Electric field and the other is the magnetic field. They always accompany each other perpendicular to each other.
Not so. Both B and H are vectors used in describing magnetism. B is the fundamental magnetic field, sometimes called "magnetic induction" to distinguish it from H; H, often called the "magnetic field strength", is useful in discussing magnetism in the presence of magnetic materials.

temujin said:
So if the magnetic force acting on a magnetic needle increases, why does not the field strength increase. And what exactly is the difference between H and B.
The names of the magnetic vectors aren't particulary helpful. The magnetic field (B) increases, but the magnetic field "strength" (just the name attached to H) does not. H only depends on the "free" current (I in the coil).

You may find this helpful: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/magpr.html

Yes- I apologize for my mistake. I just referred to some text.
H=B/u, where 'u' is the permiability constant.

The Electric Field should have been 'E'.

Doc Al said:
The names of the magnetic vectors aren't particulary helpful. The magnetic field (B) increases, but the magnetic field "strength" (just the name attached to H) does not. H only depends on the "free" current (I in the coil).

You may find this helpful: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/magpr.html

I agree with Doc Al. It took me a little while to get it, but there is a very important difference between B and H. Like Doc Al said, B is the magnetic field that is independent of source. There are two main sources of magnetism. The first comes from the material in the form of para/diamagnetism or ferromagnetism. The second comes from free current passing through the material. To find H, B is separated into the two parts, coming from free current and "bound" current. As Doc Al said, H is the name given to the free current part. H is used often by experimentalists because when they want to control the amount of magnetic field, they cannot easily change the magnetism inherent inside the material they're using. Instead, they change the amount of current passing through the material. So effectively, they are only changing H. Your example, however, is an example of them "changing the material" by filling the air with a piece of iron, changing the system's inherent magnetism.

Hope that helps :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between H and B in an electromagnetic field?

H and B are both components of an electromagnetic field, but they represent different physical quantities. H, also known as magnetic field intensity, is the measure of the strength of the magnetic field generated by electric currents. B, also known as magnetic flux density, is the measure of the density of magnetic flux in a given area. In other words, H represents the cause of the magnetic field, while B represents the effect.

2. Can H and B be measured separately?

Yes, H and B can be measured separately using different instruments. H can be measured using a magnetometer, which detects changes in magnetic field strength. B can be measured using a fluxmeter, which measures the density of magnetic flux in a given area.

3. What units are used to measure H and B?

H is typically measured in amperes per meter (A/m), while B is measured in tesla (T) or gauss (G). 1 T = 10,000 G, so the two units are often used interchangeably.

4. How are H and B related in an electromagnetic field?

In a vacuum, H and B are directly proportional to each other. This means that as H increases, B also increases at the same rate. However, in a material medium, the relationship between H and B is more complex and depends on the magnetic properties of the material.

5. Can H and B be shielded or blocked?

Yes, both H and B can be shielded or blocked by certain materials. H can be blocked by materials with high magnetic permeability, while B can be shielded by materials with high magnetic retentivity. This is the principle behind using magnetic shielding in electronic devices to protect them from external magnetic fields.