Electromagnetic Field Question

In summary, the student is trying to find the charge distributions on the four surfaces, and the E and D fields between the two inner surfaces.
SaintDane123

Homework Statement

Problem is as follows:
(Figure 1) shows two very large slabs of metal that are parallel and distance l apart. The top and bottom surface of each slab has surface area A. The thickness of each slab is so small in comparison to its lateral dimensions that the surface area around the sides is negligible. Metal 1 has total charge Q1=Q and metal 2 has total charge Q2=2Q. Assume Q is positive.
28_P50.jpg

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law
Int(E*dA)=Q/ep_0

The Attempt at a Solution

So for working through this problem, I've already determined 2 & 4, those were zero which is pretty easy, and I think I know the general path to follow for this

Only been working on one so far, just need some guidance on where to move but so far its
E*dA=Q/ep_0
Then I imposed a gaussian surface over the upper half of the top slab in order to get the E-field at 1, I chose a rectangle for this
E*(A*L)=Q/ep_0
E=Q/((.5A*L)*ep_0)
I know its the right path, and sorry if I didn't write it out perfectly, just not sure how to handle the area of the rectangle I imposed over 1.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
SaintDane123 said:
Figure 1) shows two very large slabs of metal that are parallel and distance l apart. The top and bottom surface of each slab has surface area A. The thickness of each slab is so small in comparison to its lateral dimensions that the surface area around the sides is negligible. Metal 1 has total charge Q1=Q and metal 2 has tota
This is same as a parallel plate capacitor. Electric field will be uniform in the space between the plates. I believe formula for electric field between two capacitor plates will be useful here.

SaintDane123 said:

Homework Statement

Problem is as follows:
(Figure 1) shows two very large slabs of metal that are parallel and distance l apart. The top and bottom surface of each slab has surface area A. The thickness of each slab is so small in comparison to its lateral dimensions that the surface area around the sides is negligible. Metal 1 has total charge Q1=Q and metal 2 has total charge Q2=2Q. Assume Q is positive.
28_P50.jpg

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law
Int(E*dA)=Q/ep_0

The Attempt at a Solution

So for working through this problem, I've already determined 2 & 4, those were zero which is pretty easy, and I think I know the general path to follow for this

Only been working on one so far, just need some guidance on where to move but so far its
E*dA=Q/ep_0
Then I imposed a gaussian surface over the upper half of the top slab in order to get the E-field at 1, I chose a rectangle for this
E*(A*L)=Q/ep_0
E=Q/((.5A*L)*ep_0)
I know its the right path, and sorry if I didn't write it out perfectly, just not sure how to handle the area of the rectangle I imposed over 1.

Thanks!

What is the question? You have described the setup, but have not stated what you were asked to find/compute/explain.

I assume you want to know the charge distributions on the four surfaces, which of course will also give you the E field between the plates, since the two inner surfaces will have to have the same E field just above them ...

So how many Gaussian surfaces can you come up with to solve for thefour surface charge densities?

Actually, this is a very interesting problem and I would like to see it addressed by such as mfb, vela or tsny!
EDIT:
I won't let go of this! Think I have it:
OK, two Gaussian surfaces and 3 unknowns: let σ = surface charge, then
σ1 - σ3 = Q/A
σ5 + σ3 = 2Q/A
and now, forcing the D fields = 0 in 2 and 4, a third equation, left as exercise for the student!
NOTE: σ on inside surface of 2 = -σ on inside of surface 4 = σ3. (Why?).
Now you have the D and E fields in all 5 regions.

Last edited:

1. What is an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnetic field is a physical field produced by electrically charged objects. It consists of electric and magnetic components, and it can be described by its strength and direction at any given point in space.

2. How is an electromagnetic field generated?

An electromagnetic field is generated by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons. This can occur naturally, for example, in the form of lightning, or it can be artificially created, such as in the form of radio waves emitted from a cell phone.

3. What are the effects of electromagnetic fields on living organisms?

The effects of electromagnetic fields on living organisms are still being studied and debated. Some studies suggest that exposure to high levels of electromagnetic radiation may have negative health effects, while others show no significant impact. More research is needed to fully understand the potential effects.

4. How can we protect ourselves from electromagnetic fields?

To protect ourselves from electromagnetic fields, we can limit our exposure to sources of radiation, such as by using hands-free devices for cell phones and keeping a safe distance from high-voltage power lines. Additionally, shielding materials can be used to reduce exposure in certain settings.

5. Can electromagnetic fields be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, electromagnetic fields have many practical applications, including in technology, communication, and medicine. For example, they are used in electric motors, wireless communication devices, and MRI machines. Scientists continue to explore new ways to harness this energy for various purposes.