1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic field strength tensor- Magnetic monopoles

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    Hey!

I stumbled across this problem while reading Wald's "General Relativity", but it belongs to Electrodynamics. In problem 3 of chapter 6 one has to find the general form of a static, spherically symmetric Maxwell tensor, which is clearly [itex]F_{ab}=A(r)(dt)_a \wedge (dr)_b+B(r)r(d\theta)_a \wedge r sin\theta (d\phi)_b[/itex]. Then, in part b, he states that a Maxwell tensor with B[itex]\neq[/itex]0 corresponds to a magnetic monopole. How can I interpret this? I was told that the deeper reason for this is that [itex]r(d\theta)_a \wedge r sin\theta (d\phi)_b=d^2\Omega[/itex] is not closed but that the exterior derivative is proportional to [itex]\delta^{(2)}(x)[/itex]. Where is the connection between these two statements?
    Thank you for help

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted