1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic field

1. Apr 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1400 nF capacitor with circular parallel plates 1.0 cm in diameter is accumulating charge at the rate of 25.0 mC/s at some instant in time. What will be the magnitude of the induced magnetic field 9.0 cm radially outward from the center of the plates?
    T
    What will be the magnitude of the field after the capacitor is fully charged?
    T

2. Relevant equations

Obviously i'm a little confused, but I believe the general equation is B=mevE where B is magnetic field, e is c^2/Nxm^2, m is Nxs^2/C^2...on second, thought, i'm very confused.
    another possibility is B=(mu) initial x I/ 2 pi r

3. The attempt at a solution

1400x25=35000x(1/9)=3888.89T

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2007 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well some of your comments are on the right track. First you need to calculate the current, given the charge per second. Then use that current in your secon equation (often called the law of Biot and Savart).

However, don't forget to look at the units!! You can't just plug in 25 without making use of its units milli-Coulomb.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?