1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic field

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We are given monochromatic point source of EM radiation which power is P=100W. The task is to compute E(r) and B(r). We can assume that r is large enough to treat wave as a plane wave.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

First of all - what for do we assume that for big r it is plane wave?
    My solution to this task is:

In a sphere of radius r and thickness dr there is an amount of energy W: [tex]W = P dt = \frac{1}{\epsilon \mu} EB 4 \pi r^2 dr[/tex]
    Then [tex]P = \frac{1}{\epsilon \mu} EB 4 \pi r^2 c \iff EB = \ldots[/tex] and so on... I can easily calculate values of E and B but still - what for is the mentioned assumption?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, why is there a factor of [itex]1/\epsilon[/itex] in your expression? Do the units make sense?

If the fields aren't those of a plane wave, then the Poynting vector [itex]\textbf{S}=\frac{1}{\mu_0}\textbf{E}\times\textbf{B}[/itex] does not necessarily point in the radial direction and have magnitude [itex]EB[/itex]. The fields themselves could also depend on the polar and azimuthal angles,

[tex]\implies P(r)=\oint\textbf{S}\cdot d\textbf{a}=\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}\textbf{S}\cdot\hat{\textbf{r}}r^2\sin\theta d\theta d\phi\neq\frac{4\pi r^2}{\mu_0}EB[/tex]

in general.

4. Oct 25, 2009 #3
    Ok, thanks. I used [tex]\frac{1}{\mu \epsilon} EB[/tex] as an energy density not an energy flux.

5. Oct 25, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But that doesn't even have units of energy density....

6. Oct 25, 2009 #5
    You're right - I made stupid mistake :( Should be: [tex]\frac{1}{\mu c} EB[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook