1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic fields+voltage=hard homework

1. Dec 21, 2003 #1
    Alright, I'm doing a project where I'm supposed to make an electromagnet, and then figure out how the voltage affects both the magnitude and the power of the electromagnetic field. Can anyone give me some good equations to use, or something?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2003 #2

Science Advisor

Magnetic field strength is given by

[tex]F = ILB[/tex]

The obvious answer is that the more voltage you have, the higher the current in the line will be.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2003
  4. Dec 22, 2003 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is the question just about the strength of the magnetic field (magnitude), or is there a second thing? The "power" of a magnetic field doesn't make any sense.

THere would be the power dissipated in the coil of wire while it created the magnetic field: P=IV and V = IR put together give you P = (V^2)/R where R is the resistance in the wire.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2003
  5. Dec 22, 2003 #4
    Well, Voltage=CurrentxResistance. So, the more voltage you have, the more current there is. And the more current you have, the more "power" your magnetic field has.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?