Electromagnetic fields+voltage=hard homework

Alright, I'm doing a project where I'm supposed to make an electromagnet, and then figure out how the voltage affects both the magnitude and the power of the electromagnetic field. Can anyone give me some good equations to use, or something?

Answers and Replies

ShawnD
Science Advisor
how the voltage affects both the magnitude and the power of the electromagnetic field
Magnetic field strength is given by

[tex]F = ILB[/tex]

The obvious answer is that the more voltage you have, the higher the current in the line will be.

Last edited:
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Originally posted by Emmsey Square
Alright, I'm doing a project where I'm supposed to make an electromagnet, and then figure out how the voltage affects both the magnitude and the power of the electromagnetic field. Can anyone give me some good equations to use, or something?
Is the question just about the strength of the magnetic field (magnitude), or is there a second thing? The "power" of a magnetic field doesn't make any sense.

THere would be the power dissipated in the coil of wire while it created the magnetic field: P=IV and V = IR put together give you P = (V^2)/R where R is the resistance in the wire.

Last edited:
Well, Voltage=CurrentxResistance. So, the more voltage you have, the more current there is. And the more current you have, the more "power" your magnetic field has.