1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic flowmeter

1. Feb 23, 2006 #1
    An electromagnetic flowmeter is used to measure blood flow rates during surgery. Blood containing Na+ ions flows due south through an artery with a diameter of 0.40 cm. The artery is in a downward magnetic field of 0.25 T and develops a Hall voltage of 0.35 mV across its diameter. (a) What is the blood speed (in m/s)? (b) What is the flow rate (in m3/s)? (c) The leads of a voltmeter are attached to diametrically opposed points on the artery to measure the Hall voltage. Which of the two leads is at the higher potential?

1. (a) 0.35 m/s; (b) 4.4 times 10-6 m3/s; (c) the east lead
    2. (a) 0.43 m/s; (b) 4.4 times 10-6 m3/s; (c) the east lead
    3. (a) 0.43 m/s; (b) 5.7 times 10-6 m3/s; (c) the south lead
    4. (a) 0.35 m/s; (b) 4.4 times 10-6 m3/s; (c) the south lead
    5. (a) 0.43 m/s; (b) 4.4 times 10-6 m3/s; (c) the south lead

I have worked through the problem, and figured out that it is .43 m/s and the flow rate is 4.4E-6 m3/s. I am not sure how to figure out which lead is at the higher potential though. When I apply the right hand rule, it seems like I get a force to the west? So, which is at a higher potential, the east or south lead?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2006 #2
    Oops, I meant to say 0.35 m/s.

4. Feb 23, 2006 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try again. Are you using the correct right hand?
    On which side will you find the positive ions?

5. Feb 23, 2006 #4
    To the south?

6. Feb 23, 2006 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which way is the force?

7. Feb 23, 2006 #6
    Force is to the east?

8. Feb 23, 2006 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well I guess that's the last choice, but yes. RHR says fingers down, thumb south, palm faces east, that's where the positive ions are, that's where the voltage is high.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?