Electromagnetic force types

In summary: It's very similar. The only difference is that the Lorentz force is associated with electron movement in a conductor.
xeonese

Homework Statement

Can anyone tell me what are the different types of electromagnetic forces? i know friction, non-penetrability of solids etc. are phenomenons of the electromagnetic force. Similarly are viscous force, cohesive force, adhesive force results of electromagnetic force?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how to answer your question. On the one hand there is only one "type" of electromagnetic force, the electromagnetic force. On the other hand there are the magnetic and electric components in a given inertial frame.

It seems you want a laundry list of common forces which are fundamentally electromagnetic. I don't know of any complete laundry list of forces. However of the four fundamental forces, if one eliminates weak and strong forces which we do not see everyday since they are short ranged (and I mean very short ranged) you are left with electromagnetic and gravitational forces. So any non-gravity force you experience will be fundamentally electromagnetic.

jambaugh said:
I'm not sure how to answer your question. On the one hand there is only one "type" of electromagnetic force, the electromagnetic force. On the other hand there are the magnetic and electric components in a given inertial frame.

It seems you want a laundry list of common forces which are fundamentally electromagnetic. I don't know of any complete laundry list of forces. However of the four fundamental forces, if one eliminates weak and strong forces which we do not see everyday since they are short ranged (and I mean very short ranged) you are left with electromagnetic and gravitational forces. So any non-gravity force you experience will be fundamentally electromagnetic.

well... to be honest, a laundry list is exactly what i wanted. eliminating every other force in the nuclear domain and gravity outside the atom, i was left only with the electromagnetic force. And that's what made me wonder whether these forces are nuthing but electromagnetic forces or not... And that laundry list is what i couldn't find anywhere. Thanks a lot for helping.

xeonese said:
well... to be honest, a laundry list is exactly what i wanted. eliminating every other force in the nuclear domain and gravity outside the atom, i was left only with the electromagnetic force. And that's what made me wonder whether these forces are nuthing but electromagnetic forces or not... And that laundry list is what i couldn't find anywhere. Thanks a lot for helping.

(Sing to the tune of "That's Amore")

When my thumb poke your eye and you just don't know why,
That's electromagnetic!
When the cop slaps on the cuff, and then get's a bit rough,
That's electromagnetic!

Bell's will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, and the sound is the thing,
atom's bouncing,
but the spring in their hop is the electrons that stop
it's astounding.

and so on... I'll work on some more verses.

Well I hate to complicate the issue but there is a caveat. In quantum theory one may refer to "a statistical force" which is not a true force but has an effect.

Since fermions cannot occupy the same quantum "state" they can "fill up" the available states and there is an effective repulsion between identical fermions. But that is more of a lack of availability of a degree of motion than a true force. It is similar to the lack of available degrees of freedom which disallows an electron to spiral into the nucleus.

This I think also contributes to the rigidity when compressing solid matter and so to the force of e.g. a slap on the face.

Bosons have a reverse statistical "force" which is behind the phenomenon of stimulated emission in lasers. "Bosons of a feather flock together" in a sense. I think this contributes to the cohesiveness of say superfluid helium (A Bose-Einstein condensate) allowing it to creep up a surface.

jambaugh said:
(Sing to the tune of "That's Amore")

When my thumb poke your eye and you just don't know why,
That's electromagnetic!
When the cop slaps on the cuff, and then get's a bit rough,
That's electromagnetic!

Bell's will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, and the sound is the thing,
atom's bouncing,
but the spring in their hop is the electrons that stop
it's astounding.

and so on... I'll work on some more verses.

FASCINATING ! HONESTLY ! :rofl:

Go to wikipedia or elsewhere and look up Lorentz force.

1. What are the four fundamental types of electromagnetic forces?

The four fundamental types of electromagnetic forces are electric force, magnetic force, electromagnetic induction, and electromagnetic radiation.

2. How do electric and magnetic forces differ?

Electric forces act between electrically charged particles, while magnetic forces act between moving charged particles. Electric forces can attract or repel, while magnetic forces only attract.

3. What is electromagnetic induction and how does it work?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current by passing a magnet through a coil of wire, or by changing the magnetic field through a stationary coil. This induces a current in the wire, creating a magnetic field that can then interact with other charged particles.

4. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two aspects of the same fundamental force. Moving electric charges create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations.

5. What is the role of electromagnetic forces in everyday life?

Electromagnetic forces play a crucial role in many everyday technologies, including electricity, magnetism, radio waves, and light. They are also responsible for the behavior of atoms and molecules, as well as the structure and functioning of biological systems.