Why Are Rubbed Plastic Pieces Attracted to Each Other?

In summary, electromagnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that acts between electrically charged particles and is carried by photons. It is responsible for a wide range of effects such as creating chemical bonds and allowing for the transmission of light. It is also related to electricity and magnetism, and plays a crucial role in all physical and chemical processes in the universe.
fiziksfun
1. I'm doing a lab involving electromagnetic force. In the lab I stroked two pieces of clear plastic that were lying on a table. When I held the two pieces of plastic up in the air near each other, they were attracted to one another.

I don't understand why at all? Any ideas?!
Did I give the plastic a charge when I rubbed it ?! If they're attracted doesn't that mean they have opposite charges ?! Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The plastic will have built up a static charge yes. Since they were attracted the charges will be opposite.

The phenomenon you observed is a result of the electromagnetic force, which is one of the fundamental forces of nature. This force is responsible for the interaction between charged particles, such as the electrons in the plastic pieces. When you rubbed the plastic, you most likely transferred some electrons from one piece to the other, giving them a net charge. Objects with opposite charges are attracted to each other, which is why the plastic pieces were drawn towards each other when held near. This is known as the electrostatic force, a type of electromagnetic force. Keep in mind that the strength of this force depends on the distance between the two objects and the amount of charge they possess. I hope this helps clarify the concept of electromagnetic force for you.

What is electromagnetic force?

Electromagnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the interaction between electrically charged particles. It is carried by particles called photons and is responsible for all electric and magnetic effects in the universe.

How does electromagnetic force work?

Electromagnetic force acts between particles with electric charge, either positive or negative. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract. This force can act over large distances, and its strength depends on the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

What are the effects of electromagnetic force?

Electromagnetic force has a wide range of effects, including holding atoms and molecules together, creating chemical bonds, and allowing for the transmission of light and other electromagnetic waves. It is also responsible for the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

How is electromagnetic force related to electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism were once thought to be separate forces, but they were later found to be different aspects of the same phenomenon: electromagnetic force. Moving electric charges create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents.

What is the role of electromagnetic force in the universe?

Electromagnetic force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. It plays a crucial role in all physical and chemical processes, from the formation of atoms and molecules to the behavior of stars and galaxies.