Electromagnetic Induction in the Earths Field

In summary, we used the formula EMF = B.u.L to calculate the emf between the circumference of a rotating copper disc and a horizontal axis, given the diameter, rotation speed, and Earth's magnetic field horizontal component. The final answer is 5.5 x 10^-5 V.
pobatso
Hi all, brand new to these forums but help you can give me some guidance with some summer exam revision!
Heres a fairly simple one I can't see through for some reason, using EMF = B.u.l etc:

1. A copper disc, 250mm in diameter, is reotated at 300 rpm about a horizontal axis through its centre and perpendicular to its plane. If the axis points magnetic north and south, calculate the emf between the circumference of the disc and the axis. Assume the horizontal comp. of the Earth's mag field to be 18 uT
2. EMF = B.u.L
3. B = Stated, u = speed of the circumference of the ring, so (pi x D)(revs. per sec), L = Circumference (0.7854m) Ans= 5.6x10^-5, wrong answer :(

Im pretty sure its simple, but I think I am confusing some of the figures. Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to the forum for help with your summer exam revision! I'm happy to assist you with this problem.

Let's break down the problem and see where you may have gone wrong in your calculations.

1. First, let's identify the given information:
- Copper disc diameter = 250mm = 0.25m
- Rotation speed = 300 rpm (revolutions per minute)
- Earth's magnetic field horizontal component = 18 uT (microtesla)

2. Now, let's identify the formula we will use:
EMF = B.u.L

3. We need to find the value for B (magnetic field strength), u (speed of the circumference of the ring), and L (circumference).

B = 18 uT = 18 x 10^-6 T (since 1 uT = 10^-6 T)

4. To find u, we need to convert the rotation speed from rpm to revs. per second:
300 rpm = 300/60 = 5 revs. per second

Now, we can calculate the speed of the circumference of the ring:
u = (pi x D)(revs. per sec) = (pi x 0.25m)(5 revs. per sec) = 0.7854 x 5 = 3.927 m/s

5. Finally, we can calculate the circumference of the disc:
L = pi x diameter = pi x 0.25m = 0.7854m

6. Now, we can plug in the values into the formula:
EMF = (18 x 10^-6 T) x (3.927 m/s) x (0.7854m) = 5.5 x 10^-5 V

Therefore, the EMF between the circumference of the disc and the axis is 5.5 x 10^-5 V.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion and helps you with your revision. Good luck on your exams!

1. What is electromagnetic induction in the Earth's field?

Electromagnetic induction in the Earth's field refers to the process by which a changing magnetic field in the Earth's core induces an electric current in conductive materials on or near the Earth's surface.

2. How does electromagnetic induction in the Earth's field affect our daily lives?

Electromagnetic induction in the Earth's field plays a crucial role in the functioning of devices such as generators, motors, and transformers, which are essential components of modern technology and infrastructure. It also contributes to the Earth's magnetic field, which protects us from harmful radiation from the sun.

3. What causes the Earth's magnetic field?

The Earth's magnetic field is primarily generated by the flow of liquid iron in the outer core of the Earth, which creates electric currents. These currents, in turn, produce the Earth's magnetic field.

4. How does the Earth's magnetic field change over time?

The Earth's magnetic field is not constant and has undergone numerous changes throughout Earth's history. These changes are caused by fluctuations in the Earth's core and can result in the reversal of the magnetic poles, where the north and south poles switch places.

5. What are some potential future implications of changes in electromagnetic induction in the Earth's field?

The changes in electromagnetic induction in the Earth's field can affect the accuracy of navigation systems that rely on the Earth's magnetic field, such as compasses and GPS. It can also impact the migration patterns of animals that use the Earth's magnetic field for navigation. Additionally, changes in the Earth's magnetic field could have implications for climate and weather patterns.