1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Induction Multiple Choice

1. May 18, 2010 #1
    Please go to the following link to see the multiple choice questions I am talking about (if I post the image directly into the thread, I shall immediately receive a warning about the size not being suitable for this forum):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2731/4475421401_345855f17e_b.jpg

Here are my attempts at answering them, along with my explanations:

1 - C Explanation: by decreasing no. turns you decrease inductance, lowering both self and mutual inductance of the coils and the system.

2 - A Explanation: this is the only choice that would increase deflection; all other choices would decrease the current through the secondary coil.

3 - C Explanation: greater speed = higher frequency= more of the waveform appears on the scope.

4 - D Explanation: this is a turns ratio problem, and d.c. will not be transmitted through a transformer.

5 - E Explanation: faster insertion = more current and opposite direction = reverse current flow direction

6 - D Explanation: rate = power ?????

7 - D (the answer is cut off) Explanation: you want a high voltage and a low current ( current flow causes power loss because wires have resistance)

Please tell me where my answers are wrong, and what the right answers should be (preferably with a small explanation of why that is so!).

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted