Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electromagnetic Induction, the Interplanetary Magnetic Field and the Magnetopause

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the law of electromagnetic induction to deduce what typical voltage would be imposed in the magnetopause by the interplanetary magnetic field, assuming a scale size of the magnetopause of 10Re?

2. Relevant equations

-Magnetic flux equation
    -Faraday's law

3. The attempt at a solution

See attachment for solution.

I took the interplanetary magnetic field strength to be 10^-9T (is this right?) and assumed that the magnetopause rotates at the same rate as the Earth.

Did I get it right? I normally do this sort of calculation for conductors rotating in a magnetic field. In this case one magnetic field is imposing an emf on another magnetic field. Did I have to take into account the strength of the magnetopause?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2010 #2
    Nothing? I just want to know if my solution makes sense to anyone.

Thanks

EDIT: I just realised, I made a mistake in the area calculation. I should have calculated the surface area of a sphere. But apart from that is the method correct?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  4. Feb 21, 2010 #3
    Hi
    It looks right with the area change.
    I have to do the exact same question for my lab project.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook