1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Induction, the Interplanetary Magnetic Field and the Magnetopause

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the law of electromagnetic induction to deduce what typical voltage would be imposed in the magnetopause by the interplanetary magnetic field, assuming a scale size of the magnetopause of 10Re?

2. Relevant equations

-Magnetic flux equation
    -Faraday's law

3. The attempt at a solution

See attachment for solution.

I took the interplanetary magnetic field strength to be 10^-9T (is this right?) and assumed that the magnetopause rotates at the same rate as the Earth.

Did I get it right? I normally do this sort of calculation for conductors rotating in a magnetic field. In this case one magnetic field is imposing an emf on another magnetic field. Did I have to take into account the strength of the magnetopause?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2010 #2
    Nothing? I just want to know if my solution makes sense to anyone.

Thanks

EDIT: I just realised, I made a mistake in the area calculation. I should have calculated the surface area of a sphere. But apart from that is the method correct?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  4. Feb 21, 2010 #3
    Hi
    It looks right with the area change.
    I have to do the exact same question for my lab project.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook