Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Induction

1. Feb 19, 2006 #1
    Hey I was wondering if anyone out there can help me. After doing some research I was not able to find out on my own. Well, the question I have is: does creating an electromagnetic field for the purpose of powering something (electromagnetic induction) create any harmful effects to anyone close to it?

Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2006 #2
    that would depend on "strength" of the field. or to say it another way, the wavelength of the "ripples".
    you wouldn't try is close to the electromagnetic field created by annihilation either nuke!
  4. Feb 20, 2006 #3
    I don't think I understand the explanation
  5. Feb 20, 2006 #4
    Electromagnetic waves carry enegy, and amount of that energy is related to their wavelength (the shorter wavelength they have, the more energy they have). If the amount of energy is "small", it wouldn't have any serious effect on human. however, if they are carrying a "huge" amount of energy, they can be disastrous.

The waves created by your monitor right in front of you are those carrying "small" amount of energy. The waves created in a nuclear reaction or an annihilation (such as electron-positron annihilation) are those that carry "huge" amount of energy, and harmful.

But I can't define a threshold value for wavelength (at what energy you dna gets corrupted, your nerves misfunction, etc), maybe a biologist can.

6. Feb 21, 2006 #5
    If the electromagnetic field is large enough it can stop the human heart, so yes. It can kill someone. E.g. If lightning struck close to you, say a meter away, then it can stop your heart and you.

7. Feb 21, 2006 #6

I beg to differ. Fatality or injuries from a lightning strike is the result of massive electron flow through the human body, be it a direct or "stand-off" hit. The EM field generated by a lightning strike is nothing compared to the actual DC current potentialized.
  8. Feb 22, 2006 #7
    It is the induced electrtic field which causes those effects and it is the induced electric field which I'm speaking of. A direct strike is different than a near miss in its manner of interaction with the human body.

9. Feb 22, 2006 #8
    Ah, very good. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?