Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electromagnetic Induction

1. Sep 2, 2004 #1
    a) State Faraday’s law of electromagnetic induction.
    [ mark
    b) A coil of 1000 turns, resistance 23.0 ohms and cross-sectional area of 4.0 cm squared is positioned perpendicular to a magnetic field which is switched off in 0.005 s.
    I) What is the average induced e.m.f. if the magnetic flux density of the magnetic field is 5.3 x 10^5 T?

ii) What is the average electrical power generated in the coil if its ends are short circuited?

If its not asking to much, give me answer i need to compare to mine

Thank you for ur kindness

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Tell us what you got and how you got it! :-)

4. Sep 2, 2004 #3
    sounds like homework, is it not ?

a) the formula gives the emf (generated voltage = "electro motrice force" is it not ?) [tex]\epsilon[/tex] (the minus sign is Lenz's law)
    [tex]\epsilon = - \frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex]

You can find this anywhere, this is no big deal just giving it to you. Typing "Faraday induction" in google is enough.

EDIT I first gave the answers to the other questions, then deleted them because of the previous post. Yet, I would also doubt about the huge numbers obtained. This is because of the enormous magnetic field.

5. Sep 2, 2004 #4
    shouldnt be the formula: E = -N *(dф)/(dt) ?

ur right about the magnetic fiels it should be to the power of -5, sorry for that mistake

6. Sep 3, 2004 #5
    Either you define the flux through one coil, and then you get an extra N factor, or you define the flux through the N turns from the begining. But yes, don't forget the N in the formula. Since your coils are perpendicular to the magnetic field, the equation is quite simple. :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook