Calculating Average Induced EMF in a Rotating Coil

In summary, a flat coil of wire with an area of 0.010 m2 and containing 100 turns is initially parallel to a downward magnetic field of 0.2 T. After being rotated clockwise by 30o in 0.10 s, the average induced emf is 0.18 V. The given answer key is incorrect.
physgrl

Homework Statement

A flat coil of wire has an area of 0.010 m2and contains 100 turns. Initially the coil is oriented so that the normal to its surface is parallel to a downward constant magnetic field of 0.2 T. The coil is then rotated clockwise through an angle of 30oin a time of 0.10 s. What is the average induced emf? (Note: the initial emf is zero)

a. 0.50 V

b. 0.45 V

*c. 0.18 V

d. 0.25 V

Homework Equations

emf=-Δ[itex]\Phi[/itex]B/Δt
[itex]\Phi[/itex]B=N*ABcos(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

emf=-Δ[itex]\Phi[/itex]B/Δt
emf=-N*AB(cos(θ1)-cos(θ2))/Δt
emf=-100*0.01m2*.2T(cos(0)-cos(30))/.1s
emf=2.7x10-2V

the answer appears to be .18V...can someone tell me why is this? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey!

Nope. I can't tell you why that is.
Btw, he answer I get is emf=0.27V, so it seems to me you made a mistake with the power of 10.

In other words IMHO your answer key is wrong!
The right answer isn't even in there.
Is it possible you made a typo when typing down the problem statement?

Anyway, I believe we've given you an answer like this one a couple of times before.
Where do you get your answers?

Hey!
yeah, my answer keys seem to be wrong a lot this is were I study from http://www.montereyinstitute.org/courses/AP%20Physics%20B%20II/nroc%20prototype%20files/coursestartc.html but some answer keys I find here http://bodweb02.bishopodowd.org/UCCP/APPhysicsCII/course%20files/

Last edited by a moderator:
So where's this one and its "answer"?

on the first link unit 3>>chapter 14>>lesson 41>> assessments >>answer key >>question 7

Yep. I see it.
And still no clue why the answer would be wrong.

Oh well :/

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the production of an electromotive force (emf) in a conductor when it is exposed to a varying magnetic field. This process was discovered by Michael Faraday in the 1830s and is the basis for many important technologies, including generators, motors, and transformers.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works through the interaction of a magnetic field and a conductor. When a conductor is placed in a changing magnetic field, the magnetic flux through the conductor changes, causing an emf to be induced. This emf then creates an electric current in the conductor.

3. What are the applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has numerous applications in everyday life and in various industries. It is used in power generation, where generators convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is also used in motors, which convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. Other applications include transformers, induction cooktops, and wireless charging.

4. What factors affect the strength of electromagnetic induction?

The strength of electromagnetic induction depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, and the angle between the magnetic field and the conductor. Additionally, the material and size of the conductor can also affect the strength of induction.

5. What is the difference between electromagnetic induction and electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic induction and electromagnetic radiation are two different phenomena. Electromagnetic induction involves the production of an emf in a conductor due to a changing magnetic field, while electromagnetic radiation is the emission of energy in the form of electromagnetic waves. Electromagnetic radiation does not require a conductor, as it can travel through space, while electromagnetic induction only occurs in the presence of a conductor.