Exploring Electromagnetic Induction: A Rotating Ring in a Magnetic Field

In summary, electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by exposing it to a changing magnetic field. One interesting way to explore this phenomenon is by studying a rotating ring in a magnetic field, which can demonstrate the principles of Faraday's law and Lenz's law. As the ring rotates, it experiences a changing magnetic field, resulting in the generation of an electric current. This concept is important in various applications such as generators, motors, and transformers. Further research and experimentation on this topic can lead to advancements in technology and understanding of electricity and magnetism.
Xubi

Homework Statement

A ring of mass m, radius R having charge q uniformly distributed over it and free to rotate about its own axis is placed in a region having a magnetic field B parallel to its axis. If the magnetic field is suddenly switched off, the angular velocity acquired by the ring

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

All I understand in this problem is that the change in magnetic flux will induce current in the ring. I don't understand why it will rotate, who will provide torque for rotation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

The ring can be considered an insulator. So, there will not be any induced current in the ring material.

The key idea in this problem is that there will be an electric field associated with the changing magnetic field.

TSny said:
Welcome to PF!

The ring can be considered an insulator. So, there will not be any induced current in the ring material.

The key idea in this problem is that there will be an electric field associated with the changing magnetic field.
Thank you for such quick response.
However, it doesn't mention in the question that the ring is an insulator.
Yes, there will be an electric field associated with the changing magnetic flux. But it is still very unclear to me how this electric field will rotate the ring.

If the ring is not an insulator, then there will be an induced current in the ring. But this current is not relevant to the problem.

In order to set the ring into rotation, some sort of force must act on the ring. The fact that the ring is charged suggests that the force acts on the charge q spread around the ring. What type of field might be producing the force on the charge?

TSny said:
If the ring is not an insulator, then there will be an induced current in the ring. But this current is not relevant to the problem.

In order to set the ring into rotation, some sort of force must act on the ring. The fact that the ring is charged suggests that the force acts on the charge q spread around the ring. What type of field might be producing the force on the charge?
It does suggest that electric field must be applying the torque necessary for rotation. But still it seems very vague to me.

Is it possible to show in a diagram how charge separation will occur in the ring so that i t becomes clear to me how the electric field will produce torque?

There is no need for any charge separation to occur. The ring already has a net charge q uniformly spread over it.

TSny said:
There is no need for any charge separation to occur. The ring already has a net charge q uniformly spread over it.
How will electric field be produced? The arrangement of these charges on the ring must change, right?

The changing B field "produces" the E field.

The arrangement of q on the ring does not need to change.

Can you picture the E field lines produced by the changing B field?

TSny said:
The changing B field "produces" the E field.

The arrangement of q on the ring does not need to change.

Can you picture the E field lines produced by the changing B field?
No

Google "induced electric field".

TSny said:
Google "induced electric field".
In the typical example of a rod moving on a U shaped rail placed in a magnetic field , it is very clear to me how charge separation will occur and how electric field will be produced. But in this case I am unable to imagine what is happening. You say " the arrangements of charge on the ring doesn't need to change for electric field to be produced". I can't figure out how electric field will be produced without change in arrangemnt of charges on the rod

In order to work this problem, you need to be familiar with the idea that a changing B field induces an E field. The induced electric field lines "circle around" the B field lines. The magnitude of the induced E field can be determined from Faraday's law of induction.

For example, see these videos:

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by exposing it to a changing magnetic field.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

When a conductor, such as a wire, is placed in a moving magnetic field, the magnetic field exerts a force on the free electrons in the conductor, causing them to move and generate an electric current.

3. What is Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction?

Faraday's law states that the magnitude of the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed circuit is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit.

4. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has numerous practical applications, including power generation in electric generators, induction cooktops, transformers, and wireless charging technologies.

5. How is electromagnetic induction related to electricity and magnetism?

Electromagnetic induction is a fundamental principle that links electricity and magnetism. It explains how a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current and vice versa, as demonstrated by Faraday's law and Lenz's law.